Sponsored by:

thinking of boxster for track day car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default thinking of boxster for track day car

basically i have been researching all kinds of porsches do do some track days with and its come down to the 944 and boxster. I love all porsches but was trying to stay between $10k to 20k if i could for a track car.

1. i heard you can pick up used 99 to 01 boxsters with around 30k on them for around $15k, is this true?
2. i know with a 944 you could go 3 to 5 seasons of DE's before a rebuild, what about the boxster? Can it be rebuilt and after how long.
3. Are there are alot of suspension mods for them?
4. I plan on trailering the car but at what point doesnt the car seem streetable and how do you make out by driving to and from the track.
5. I planned on adding things here and there and was thinking of track tires or suspension for the first mod (obviously i would need a cage) and trying to get some weight out.

Any pros, cons, thoughts, or information you have is much appreciated

thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. yes; go for a 2.5L ('97 - '99) in case you decide to race in the spec boxster series

2. you can probably do a refresh on a boxster motor, but most people would replace it with a crate motor or a motor from a donor car. how many events per season? i have 130k miles on mine; that inclues five track seasons.

3. yes; you can transplant some GT3 goodies. for the most part, you're just looking at coilovers and sway bars. somewhat limited in that the boxster used McStruts front and rear.

4. i have some friends that put a hitch on the box and tow a small trailer w/ tires and tools. i think once you breach the 500lb spring barrier, streetability becomes very questionable.

5. decent plan. remember the cardinal rule of mods:

first: safety
second: brakes
third: suspension
fourth: motor

decide now if the spec boxster series would ever appeal to you. if yes, then i recommend building your car toward this spec so you don't spend money twice. spec boxsters are pretty darn quick and lots of fun to drive.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spec Boxster

Here's a link to the rules:

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/hom...on=BSR%20Rules

& a couple of forums on the class:

http://www.boxsterspecracing.whsites.net/phpBB2/

http://www.boxsterspec.com/index.php?act=idx

Good luck & have fun

Quick Reply: thinking of boxster for track day car