Removing a hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Rob951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing a hardtop

Well it's that time of year, finally.

I recently purchased a '01 Boxster S with a hardtop. Never taken the top off though. Plan to next week. Anything special I need to be aware of?? I imagine there is a wire connection somewhere for the rear window defroster, I have no idea where it is though, or if it's just a contact point. Can anyone help me with this?? Is it just a simple, pull the two red levers inside to release it, and then just 'pop' it off with a friend?? Or is there a bit more to it??
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi Rob,
there is a front connection too in the centre of the windscreen. A small central panel covers it

The defroster connection is located behind the driver's side (LHD) seat near the red release lever and it is a pull apart clipped connection. Use a torch to locate it
Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

after that, when picking it up, lift from the rear of the car rocking it forward on the windshield frame, once the lock down posts are clear just lift it up and walk it backward off the car with a friend
Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 AM
easyC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

make sure not to lose the two nipple covers from the frontside connectors next to the review mirrors... they usually will just stay on or fall off into the floor board/ seats..
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

I might add make sure your friend is capable of not letting it drop on their side. Lean towards them and make it as easy as possible on them. The cam lock rods can do some real damage. Don't stress over it ,just make sure your departure route is rehearsed before you start.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take mine off with the wifey all the time. Easy as cake 2 minute job.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug Hillary
Use a torch to locate it
just fyi for the OP, he means "flashlight". Using a blow torch to find it might be difficult if not dangerous ...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Rob951
Advanced

Thanks for all your help guys. Sounds like Sunday. Still have no idea what colour the soft top is. Should be interesting.

In case you were wondering, here's the stats: 2001 Boxster S, Meridian grey on black/grey interior, 56xxxkm (when bought on St. Pat's Day), BiXeon, 6disc changer, hard top, crest embossed seats... 2 owners, full records, no crashes... paid $33k cdn. Bit much compared with the US I know, but it had 'everything' I was looking for, and in my city at that.

Can't wait for summer
Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

you can see the soft top if you look behind your roll bars, that cloth between the small shelf under the window and the bars is your soft top

since you've never used the soft top before, be careful raising and lowering it in the cold, say sub 50F or so, it gets stiff and doesn't always go down cleanly, always watch it while you're putting it down and look for kinks or you risk creasing it, unless it's very warm out I have to get out and "chop" the window so it folds correctly

the hard top is very light, most could if it themselves if it weren't so awkward, plan on it taking just a few minutes to remove or install, just be careful walking with it

Quick Reply: Removing a hardtop