Sponsored by:

Broken engine, Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken engine, Now what?

I bought a 1997 boxster from a friend who, while driving up the canyon, blew an engine. Long story short, I got a 1999 motor out of a wrecking yard and put it in the car. Now what should I do with the old motor. Are they rebuildable? The right side exhaust was full of mixed coolent/oil.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the sleeve cracked. Common problem on early Boxsters.

I'd talk to member tholyoak about what to do with the old engine.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 AM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I bet the sleeve cracked. Common problem on early Boxsters.

I'd talk to member tholyoak about what to do with the old engine.
MY97 Boxsters were not sleeved. sounds like head gasket failure.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

This engine is an early car built in germany not finland, so I dont think that it is sleaved. My question is can the engine be rebuilt, or is it just for parts now?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Only you can answer if engine rebuildable ... Remove...

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
This engine is an early car built in germany not finland, so I dont think that it is sleaved. My question is can the engine be rebuilt, or is it just for parts now?
head on side with coolant and oil mix.

If engine sleeved (and est. is nearly 1/2 of all early engine's sleeved) you can tell by looking at top of engine cylinders.

Then you look to see if a sleeve failed.

If no sleeves or if sleeves look good then you have to find out how coolant/oil getting together.

Cracked block? Scrap. Well, you might source new/used block but is it worth it? Doubt anyone would pay you for your trouble.

Cracked head? If no other damage head could be replaced and engine might be as good as new, well, better than it is now.

Some other problem? When you know post details.

At best you could end up with engine that could go back into car if this engine goes. What kind of service life it would have is a tough call.

At worst you could spend a lot of money and then haul remains of engine to salvage yard.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to put a used engine in the car, also, what did the wrecking yard charge for the motor? Not being nosey, just planning ahead.

Bill Seifert

1988 Boxster
Old 04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I paid $4000 shipped from Atlanta to Utah. I also had to have it shipped to my work that has a fork lift to get it out of the semi. Kind of a pain. Now you can get them for about $3500 through most major wrecking yards.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

A friend of mine got one from PAP in Atlanta, a year and a half or so ago for $3,500. He put it in himself, which was a real pain. Did you do yours, or did you have it done? I think he had to send the core back to PAP, but I'm not sure. Jim Pasha, who lives here in Tennessee, says they are not rebuildable, mainly, because Porsche will not sell you the parts.

Has anyone else put a Factory rebuilt engine in a Boxster, if so, what does that cost?

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Porsche993toy
Track Day

Bill,

If someone decided to go the factory engine route, Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR (dealer) told me a couple of weeks ago they would sell me a 3.2 Boxster engine for $8,500 plus shipping and the core charge. Providing your core is reusable, you will get the core charge refunded. FYI--when I checked, shipping from OR to Calif was running about $250 each way.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

I just checked and the 2.5 for a 97 boxster part #986-100-920-BX is available and lists for $9832.57 That being said, It can be had for $8275 plus core.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

mytoy986

Wonder what it costs to put one in? I am kinda afraid of used engines, and if you kept your car long enough $10,000 to $11,500 wouldn't be all that bad, I guess. My engine still does not leak anything, and has about 101k on it.

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

I'm at 89000 on mine and I've chosen to rebuild mine. Parts alone would list for about $3800 assuming the crank is good and the heads are in good shape. I believe labor for a rebuild would be about $3400 based on book time. But understand I'm a dealer parts manager and get my parts at cost plus 10%. As for the factory rebuilt I would say for a Porsche rebuilt installed with a usable core would be about $12,000.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine got one from PAP in Atlanta, a year and a half or so ago for $3,500. He put it in himself, which was a real pain. Did you do yours, or did you have it done? I think he had to send the core back to PAP, but I'm not sure. Jim Pasha, who lives here in Tennessee, says they are not rebuildable, mainly, because Porsche will not sell you the parts

I hope I did the above prev quote paste right. Oh well.
Yes I installed it myself. It was easy. The only hard part was lifting the engine and trans up with two regular floor jacks. If I were to do this again, I would go buy a motorcycle jack. As far as costs. I spent about $300 (porsche pink coolent, Pentosin p/s fluid, cleaners, and misc. other small stuff.) I printed off the how to step by step from All Data. I was amazed at how easy it was and how Porsche made the boxster. If you have any mechanical ability, It is well within the reach of anyone. The All DATA said the est. time was 14hrs. I spent about 12hrs and that includes cleaning, and replacing ever part that needed it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 AM
McLovin
Banned

I have looked into getting a Boxter but I keep seeing these blown engine issues. It seems that you guys are preety low key about it. Why is this? I would be so pissed if this was me. It seems that Boxter owners kind of expect their engine to let go. Please help me to understand.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Rich,
Where are you at? I may be interested in the blown motor if you decide to get rid of it. Also I am working on a deal with some dealers in CA for $5200 new motor from Porsche 2 yr warranty.

Quick Reply: Broken engine, Now what?