Jacques79
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car shuts off by itself after rough idle problem

Here's a quick video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-mHYcJsgvo

I have a 2000 Boxster S with 50 000 miles

CPO warranty until November 2009

Well I got stuck in the snow around 6pm tonight and had to a lot of reving in 1st gear followed by reving in reverse for like 30 mins straight...

I finally managed to get my car to move with the help of about 5 guys and then drove my car back to my garage and parked her safely with no fuss.

Now about 30 mins ago I wanted to start it up to make sure it's ok, and this happens:

Note: *On friday March 7th I took my car to the dealership and they replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor under my extended CPO warranty. Dealer said my car was perfect aside from the mass airflow sensor: no leaks no nothing*

The car idles at 500RPMs and then goes to 1000RPMs and then back to 500RPMs and then back to 1000RPMs. It does this for a good 20 seconds along with a very sorry-weak engine noise and all of a sudden the engine kind of shuts down calmly by itself.

All of this is happening without me doing anything: I'm not touching any pedals.

I started the car again and tried to get it moving a bit but it just died.

It's not a battery problem because my radio and lights work fine.

My car never did this before.

Please help, I know a lot of you are stuck at home because of the weather so chime in!

Last edited by Jacques79; 03-09-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since you just had the MAF replaced, let's start there. why did you have it replaced? what was the car doing. now, unplug the maf and start the car. is the problem still there?

if the MAF is okay, you need to check for vacuum leaks. i use a propane torch (unlit, of course). turn the propane on and wave it around in the engine compartment. you're looking for a jump in RPM (the engine sucks the propane in through the vacuum leak and the revs jump). if you have a leak, my guesses, in order, are:

1. oil separator bellows
2. oil fill tube (connects the oil fill neck in the trunk to the top of the motor)
3. oil fill cap

if you have no leaks, it's possible that you got a bad tank of fuel. put some moisture absorbant (available at auto parts stores) in the fuel and fill up the tank w/ new gas.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Jacques79
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche did lots of tests on my car today and determined it was a defective throttle body.

My car should be ready in 1-2 days but I am not sure how the throttle body could have just ''broken'' and stopped working properly?

They also put in another brand new MAF sensor but it didn't do any good.

bleah
Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79
Porsche did lots of tests on my car today and determined it was a defective throttle body.

My car should be ready in 1-2 days but I am not sure how the throttle body could have just ''broken'' and stopped working properly?

They also put in another brand new MAF sensor but it didn't do any good.

bleah
actually, now that i think about it, your car has an electronic throttle. when you press the gas, it sends a signal to the throttle telling it to open or close. it is possible that the throttle has gone haywire and is just open / closing in cycle while your car idles. we'll see.....

Quick Reply: Car shuts off by itself after rough idle problem