Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Performance Mods for 2001 Boxster "S"

Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Performance Mods for 2001 Boxster "S"

Opinions wanted !! Does anybody have an opinion?

What do you think the best performance mods are for a 2001 Boxster "S".

I will share what I am thinking, but don't let that keep you from voicing your opinion.

No short shift kit. - I really dont think this adds much to the car. The car already shifts great, and I am not looking force it into gear for a quick shift.

No suspension stiffining mods - This is a street car, and the suspension is pretty stiff already. IMO.

Horsepower / engine performaqnce mods - Now I am listening.... but I don't want a loud exhaust. When I was 18 years old, I thought that was cool. I no longer think that loud is good. If the police can't hear me, am I really going fast? Think about it......

Soooo.. Tell me what you think.. and tell me why..

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

lighter wheels, better suspension, that doesn't always mean stiffer, the real m030 is better but not more jarring, lose weight where you can
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Sputter
Pro

If I had to make adjustments to my car I suppose seats would be on top of the list. I'd prefer something bolstered about the shoulders with lumbar support.
Increase headlight power ( I just have the standard halogen setup). The M030 might be nice as well.

Jim.

Originally Posted by D.C.
Opinions wanted !! Does anybody have an opinion?

What do you think the best performance mods are for a 2001 Boxster "S".

I will share what I am thinking, but don't let that keep you from voicing your opinion.

No short shift kit. - I really dont think this adds much to the car. The car already shifts great, and I am not looking force it into gear for a quick shift.

No suspension stiffining mods - This is a street car, and the suspension is pretty stiff already. IMO.

Horsepower / engine performaqnce mods - Now I am listening.... but I don't want a loud exhaust. When I was 18 years old, I thought that was cool. I no longer think that loud is good. If the police can't hear me, am I really going fast? Think about it......

Soooo.. Tell me what you think.. and tell me why..

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
racer
Drifting

I will take a step back from the car mods.. and well, since I don't know your background, I would suggest ACTIVE INVOLVEMENT in PCA. Get to as many AX or Drivers Ed events that you can. Potomac Region PCA is one of the largest and has great AX and DE programs.

A Boxster S is a very potent car to begin with. 250+hp. 160+mph. Great braking.. Capable of over 1.0G of lateral acceleration.. but what about improving the one component that you use in all your cars.. you? Learning how to anticipate trouble.. looking ahead.. feeling the car handle though the butt dyno.. being able to outdrive cars that have even more HP. To me that is the best improvement to make.

Passing Boxster S's and more with my bone stock 2.7l 986 showed me just how great a platform the Boxster is. Mine had the designation deleted and almost everyone assumed my car was an "S" because I could catch and pass them at the track. Then they'd look closer and notice the 5spd, the "small silver brakes" and no 3rd radiator. They'd ask if it was a 3.2 or a 3.4 and I would tell them "nope! just a stock 2.7".

That said, it will be hard to get more power out of your car based on your own limitations (not wanting loudness, or stiffer suspension etc). Perhaps the only "quiet" way is to transplant a 300hp 3.4L motor . IMHO, the best way to make a boxster "faster" is to shed a few pounds where you can and sharpen up that suspension.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well if you are not interested in suspension mods and light wheels and think the Boxster is already "stiff" enough, then my guess is you're interested in the stop light grand prix type of performance.

Aside from an engine upgrade to 3.4 or 3.6 there is not much to help in that department.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
senna21
Racer

Fabspeed Headers in conjunction with the stock exhaust. The performance CATs will add HP and the stock exhaust should keep it quiet. It may be a touch louder but nothing too discernable. But, they ain’t cheep.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

After reading your thoughts, driving the car some more, and considering my abilities, I have concluded that this car is far more capable than I am. I may not be worthy, but I am having one hell of a good time driving it anyway. This car just seems to want to go fast. My old 911 feels the same way, but the Boxster even more so. I have never been a track guy, I have watched from the side of the track long ago, but never driven on the track. It seems that this car would be a blast on the track, and I seem to be getting this urge to take it to the track, and have some high speed fun.

Having said all of that, I have zero time at this point in my life to add any more hobbies such as DE or any track time, but that does sound like one heck of a lot of fun. I do like to play with cars, both driving and tinkering. So my question was really to spawn some discussion.

Stumpjumper: Lighter is better, and I shed 28 pounds so far. That is 28 pounds shed from my fat ***, not the car, but that does translate into performance. I will look into the real m030 suspension. I am not against suspension mods, I just do not want a stiffer ride. The car may already have some mods, I am not sure what the PO has done.

Sputter: Headlight power? I had not thought of this. My old 911 is terrible, and by comparison the boxster great. I am not sure about the seats, I am 6’2” so anything to make seating more comfortable would be a good thing.

Racer: Excellent points !!!!! I am no competition driver, I just like to have fun, and this Boxster is really fun to drive. The most nimble car I have ever driven by a very large margin. You have my permission to pass me anytime. 

Dennisafrompa: Perhaps I was thinking about the stop light grand prix type of performance. This Boxster is not a drag racer, and my 911 is not a drag racer either. But once you get it moving, it is one really amazing machine, whose potential could probably only be realized on the track. And I am probably not going to the track in the short term.

Thanks again for the help. Anyone else? What about intakes and exhaust? Anything available to help the car breath better?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a great car as is, and i thing you'll find it amazes you more each day as you become more comfortable with it.

Do yourself a favor and try at least one DE...you'll be amazed and amused.
For about 200 bucks and one weekend of time you'll get about 2 hours or better of high speed controlled driving.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D.C.
Thanks for the replies. I am probably not going to the track in the short term.
Rather than a full fledged DE event, you really should look into signing up for one of the PCA Potomac High Performance Driving Clinics (HPDC.) Lots of emphasis on car control exercises - slalom, threshold braking, skidpad, emergency lane change, etc. with some lap sessions in the afternoon. It's done on the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point, which is a very technical, training track - not a high speed type of track. You can explore the limits of your car in a lower speed, safe environment. You can do the same thing in autocross, of course, but there you spend a lot of the day just standing around waiting for your two minute run session. HPDC will get you a very full experience with your car in one day, and even if you decide to not do any DE's in the future you'll still be a better driver by virtue of having done this one event.

Potomac has one scheduled for April 5, although it's probably wait listed by now. There will be another one on Sept 20, so plan ahead!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Performance Mods for 2001 Boxster "S"