Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Boxster S (man) or early 2001 C4 cab (tip)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008 | 12:28 PM
Palda
6th Gear

Question 2003 Boxster S (man) or early 2001 C4 cab (tip)

I would like to ask for your personal opinion on those two cars.

Last month I lost my beloved Boxster 99 by unintenional curve slide on sand - rollovered twice, stayed on wheels, but repair too expensive compared to buying "new" Porsche.

I am mainly asking about PSM of early 03 Boxster vs 01 4x4 Carrera (without PSM). 1) Which one can "help more" on rainy day, or in cornering or when something unpredictable happens.
2) Or if 4x4 takes some fun out of the game?
I know it sounds ankward.

And another one.
3) Can iPod be somehow integrated to PCM units of both cars? Even connection through Aux (3.5mm jack, no FM modulation) would be sufficient. For I can find options for only 04+ systems. (I don't want to change the PCM for aftermarket audio units.)

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2008 | 05:11 PM
racer
Drifting

They are such different cars you need to drive them both to decide. Funny thing.. even with awd, tc, psm, abd and the host of other aids, it comes down to physics.. the only thing touching the ground on your car is your tires.. exceed their friction levels and all bets are off. Both cars can be put in a ditch. It sounds like you are a bit shaken by the horse that threw you... Get back on any of the new horses and improve the the most important part of driving.. you!

I'd help you decide, but choosing either one of these cars is hardly a burden
Old 03-05-2008 | 05:22 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I'm in the market for a C4 (as a winter mobile not a replacement for my 986S) but I'm in no hurry as the prices are falling with the worsening ecomony and credit market. I nearly pulled the trigger last August after an unexpected windfall of muney, glad I didn't.
The prices and selection is getting better and better. I'm almost tempted to wait another year because the bears are predicting a full on recession in 2009.

anyhoo...I drove a C4 and C4s and one was fast and the other was faster. But both felt like boats.
That nimbleness of a taking a hard turn in the BoxsterS is completely gone. Mucho understeer on both.
And add to that the pendulus cornering thing that is really not my cup of tea. In the rain no question the C4 is better than Boxster with PSM. If you're out on a track day or Autocross the PSM will save your *** without the understeer. And in the snow a C4 or Turbo is as good as it gets.

p.s.
I ordered the aux jack from Becker and plugged into the back of the of the Porsche radio and it works fine. I use it for Satellite radio instead of the Ipod.
Old 03-07-2008 | 04:12 AM
Palda
6th Gear

Thank you for your suggestions :-) I will try to follow both, and try to get myself to drive both vehicles, but boxster seems more realistic for now.

911 is gonna wait, for the market in Europe isn't so big - not so many great vehicles to find and iport from US is sadly out of question..

Also thanks for that Becker aux jack :-)
Old 03-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

986 S will be more fun, lighter,6 spd ,RWD and mid engine. Just get snow tires for the winter.
Old 03-11-2008 | 12:19 AM
mborkow
Drifting

or 2001 C4 cab (tip)
i'd consider a 911, but i think i'd look for a 993 C4 cab instead of a 996. the biggest problem with the 993 is the SAI (US emissions system), but since you are not in the USA it wouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: 2003 Boxster S (man) or early 2001 C4 cab (tip)