Sponsored by:

What Boxster S to buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Boxster S to buy and why?

I'm about 9 months from buying my next car, but one of the cars on the list is a Boxster S. I'll probably get something with less than 15k miles and I have time to look for a deal. I'm trying to keep the budget in the low 40's, but can go as high as 50.

Some will wonder what other cars are on the list so I'll go ahead and tell but I'd like to know about the Boxster more than how it compares to the others. C6, Cayman S, 335i Coupe, and way out on the edge, maybe a GT500. Also might drive the new G8 but can't see myself driving a Pontiac.

I owned an 85.5 944 for 7 years and loved driving it every time I got in the car. I used to be a Rennlist member but stopped hanging around after I sold the Porsche.

I will cruise through the search tool but thought a few of you could tell me how the models progressed each year. What options are the ones to look for and worth the money. With the low mileage I'm looking for, I'm going to assume I won't find anything older than a 2005.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Found some good information.

What about options? What were to "options to have 2005 and up"? BTW, I'll be looking for a 6speed only.

Porsche did a major redesign - about 80% new for model year 2005. Lights are round, rather than "fried egg".

The 97-99 boxsters had a 2.5l motor

2000-2004 had a 2.7 or you could buy a 3.2 "S"

2005-6 had a slightly torquier 2.7 or a 3..2L "S"

2007 "S" models got 3.4L motor

S models have the bigger motor, 6-speed, bigger wheels > Suspension rates are about identical since 2002 I believe.

Those who trash it are ignorant. If you want a lighter, well balanced sports car, its fantastic. better, in many way, than a 996/997. Its mid-engined handling is better. The 986/987 is stiffer by far than a 996/997 convertible. Its main drawbacks are less power and a bit less civility. For example, i was surprised how different a friends 996 C4 was. It was more of a powerful GT - lots to like, but not as sharp and quick handling as my base 986 boxster. Face it - many of the components are shared; and the big differences are 1) less powerful motors, (but 295 hp in a 2007+S is plenty); 2) convertible from the start (stiffer chassis in drop-top form) and 3) mid-engined layout, which is just plain superior for vehicle dynamics.

Brakes are sensational. Steering is lively and quick. Motor sings at high revs (with top down, anyway).

Its one of the few true sports cars still available. Most have become sporty GTs. I expect lots of folks never really wanted a sports car - and will rue the inevitable trade offs.

That siad, mine has been a very pleasant surprise. I knew I wanted one - I've wanted a 911 for years, and a drive sold me on the boxster. But living with it showed me that its comfortable, fairly practical (2 trunks), reliable, fuel efficient and overall a very practical commuting car. So I can actually drive it. A lot.

There have been issues with major engine failures. But remember, this is the same M96 motor as in the 996/7 family - with smaller bores, strokes and slightly different cam timing adjustment. thee are plenty of 986s with 150k of hard driving - 30,40,50 track days, going strong. The rela problems were with soem early cars (2.5L models) and continuing problems with intermediate shafts.

Check out Mike Fokke's boxster pages and the 986faq (986faq.org?).
Maint is infrequent, btu costly. I find it an easy car to work on. Much easier than my Audi.

You're welcome!

-G
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude - you are in luck! Great time to buy a Boxster, especially in the Atlanta area. We took the '06 Boxster S out today for a spin stopping by the two dealers on our side of town to check out their inventory. I am (was) interested in trading on the new RS60. At both dealers the mark-downs on the inventory were dramatic i.e. huge and it wasn't limited to the standard Boxsters - it was across the entire inventory.
If you are serious I think you can work a deal on an S, maybe even a new car for the higher end of your budget. I was seriously shocked by the mark downs on the cars on the lot. Definitely hurts my trade in so I might as well forget the RS. Recession has arrived?https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/bigcry.gif
Old 02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I'll probably get something with less than 15k miles...

With the low mileage I'm looking for, I'm going to assume I won't find anything older than a 2005.
You can find pre-2005 Boxsters with that mileage. But you need to drive the 986 (pre-2005) and 987 (2005 and later) Boxsters to see which you prefer. They are quite different.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 AM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's the link to Mike Focke's Boxster site. his Boxster Buying Guide only covers 986s, but it will be helpful to read anyway.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mi...oxsterwebpages
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
driven2hvn
Cruisin'

Go on EBAY and see what is up for sale. Many dealers use this format for selling new and used vehicles. Comparison shopping on line is great.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

..I'm trying to keep the budget in the low 40's, but can go as high as 50...
You can probably buy a brand new base Boxster for just about that much. I know you're looking for an S, but the base 987s make as much hp as the first S cars, which is actually pretty good, usable hp.

Still, even for an S, I think you'll be surprised at how new you can buy, especially in nine months. I agree with others, keep an eye on cars for sale and see how much they're going for (and how much they're NOT going for). eBay isn't the best ruler because a lot of eBayers are looking for a bargains, which means the best offered prices will be a little lower than "average". Still, its a convenient place to keep an eye on things. And many dealers have "buy it now" prices that can help with your averages.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies.

I just can't see myself spending that much money on a Boxster for so little HP. At least with the S you get almost 300HP, better brakes, etc.

My wife wants me to buy a Cayman and I really like them, but I'm leaning towards the Boxster S to find a better deal.

But I have time on my side. I'll find a deal somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

We bought a base 07 Boxster because I prefer the black gauges. A month later we bought a 335i coupe. No comparison, the Boxster is so much more fun, even though it's got less HP and torque. Sounds like the S is right up your alley BMA. Also agree on the Cayman. The drop top's too much fun to pass up. I can deploy mine at up to 33mph.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
911sport
Advanced

You want a Boxster with a glass rear window and a glove compartment. That would be '03 or later.
You'll get the best value with a low mileage 3 or 4 yo car. Buy a Porsche certified one at a Porsche dealer. You will be surprised at how competitive the dealer prices are vs. private sellers (e.g., in Panorama magazine listings). And you can get a 2 year new car warranty.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Atlantachap
2nd Gear

"But you need to drive the 986 (pre-2005) and 987 (2005 and later) Boxsters to see which you prefer. They are quite different."

What's the perceptable difference between pre 05 and 05+?

"Great time to buy a Boxster, especially in the Atlanta area... At both dealers the mark-downs on the inventory were dramatic i.e. huge and it wasn't limited to the standard Boxsters - it was across the entire inventory."

What's your feel on the markdowns? 10k, 15k, etc. off MSRP? I've been looking to get something for awhile now.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Jacques79
Track Day

The interior in the 2005+ is much less depressing but make sure to get the premium sound system package.

Try to spring for a 2007 S. It's got .2 extra liters of displacement which gives much better torque at low RPMs.

www.autotrader.com

www.cars.com

don't be afraid to hop on a plane and travel a bit, you might end up saving thousands.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

I don't find the pre-2005 interiors depressing at all. In fact I love how spartan mine is (2002 S). There is nothing extra.

I haven't been in the 987 yet, but have been in the Cayman. I didn't like the Cayman interior at all. It felt way too plasticy.

I love the round headlights and beefier haucnhes on the new cars though.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

I just can't see myself spending that much money on a Boxster for so little HP. At least with the S you get almost 300HP, better brakes, etc.
Then buy a Corvette - it's what you really want.

It's all about balance of power and suspension. The Boxster has it all over the other cars.

That said, I too bought the S over the base Boxster. Not because I had to have more hp on paper. But, because to me the S just felt more sporty all around. So every second, it just felt more like a sports car.

Jay
Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Sputter
Pro

It's funny just how many people think if you throw horsepower at a car it makes it fast. They get stuck on the hp numbers.

Quick Reply: What Boxster S to buy and why?