Sponsored by:

Water leak in passenger front carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
D4VMD
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in passenger front carpet

Anyone else experienced water in passenger front carper of 2001 Boxter S ?
Looks like it is coming from the lower inner door trim, which is soaking wet.

Should there be a water proof membrane(polyethylene) or such like in the door ?

I have dissassembled the door and find that water is leaking past the window scraper seals and down the window, crossing over to the inner door skin and down to the lower inner door trim "carpet" which is soaked. Passing and soaking a number of wiring looms and connectors on the way.

I was considering adding a water prooof membrade to direct any water to the lower door drains.

Any experiences good or bad with this solution ?

Rgds
D4VMD
Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 AM
1schoir
Intermediate

Originally Posted by D4VMD
Anyone else experienced water in passenger front carper of 2001 Boxter S ?
Looks like it is coming from the lower inner door trim, which is soaking wet.

Should there be a water proof membrane(polyethylene) or such like in the door ?

I have dissassembled the door and find that water is leaking past the window scraper seals and down the window, crossing over to the inner door skin and down to the lower inner door trim "carpet" which is soaked. Passing and soaking a number of wiring looms and connectors on the way.

I was considering adding a water prooof membrade to direct any water to the lower door drains.

Any experiences good or bad with this solution ?

Rgds
D4VMD
If you have dissassembled the door and did not find a seal lining the outside face of the inner door skin, then someone removed it and did not replace it. Are you the original owner? If not, then if a window regulator has been replaced, or if door speakers have been "upgraded", or some other less common repair was done that required door panel removal, then the seal was removed/cut/ or not reinstalled.

The seal is made of a waterproof rubber/foam material and it serves the exact purpose that you are thinking of accomplishing. Wash water or rain water will normally find its way past the window seals and it is supposed to stay inside the metal door frame and exit through (2?) small drain slits on the underside of the door.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM
D4VMD
8th Gear

Thanks Maurice, I did find the thin foam skin, but someone had been there before and it looked like it had been replaced but not well sealed. The water was still getting past this skin via the wiring harnesses and was collecting in the lower door inner face "carpet".

I have installed a couple of strips of thick poly sheet inside the door and this seems to have done the trick.

Fingers crossed.

Best regards
Dave

Quick Reply: Water leak in passenger front carpet