Sponsored by:

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaks

I just had a PPI done on Boxster at dealership. they said cam cover oil leak on both sides, oil return tubes leaking. Is this something common to Boxsters. I've never seen any oil on the gound or any signficant amount on the part of the engine you can see laying flat on your back. Where would you see the oil? At least it's not RMS. I've never really noticed any posts about these type leaks on Boxsters, sounds like an old 911.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Burrrr!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Michael Jekot
Instructor

Sometimes I think everyone on this list is out driving their cars and not responding. Or maybe it's a Boxster thing. I just bought a Porsche certified 2000 one. Will be a daily driver everyday. Good luck with your question.
Mike
Old 09-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I have heard of quite a few boxsters with this issue but once it is fixed you are OK.
I bought a 2000 S myself about a year and a half ago and when going through the maintenance records I found that it had a cam cover leak, oil return tube leak and RMS. So far so good none of these issues came back. Of course, I am always expecting the infamous RMS to show up again.
If it is being repaired correctly I would not worry about it.

Good Luck with your purchase
Old 02-04-2008, 06:06 PM
thayes
AutoX

I am troble shooting 97 Boxer remotely end-law mother's car and she reporting engine oil leaks, is there a list of common Boxer oil leaks to look out for and fix?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Cam cover leaks are not unknown, but the RMS and intermediate shaft...

Originally Posted by smshirk
I just had a PPI done on Boxster at dealership. they said cam cover oil leak on both sides, oil return tubes leaking. Is this something common to Boxsters. I've never seen any oil on the gound or any signficant amount on the part of the engine you can see laying flat on your back. Where would you see the oil? At least it's not RMS. I've never really noticed any posts about these type leaks on Boxsters, sounds like an old 911.
o-ring/bolt leaks get more press. Oil return tubes? I didn't know the Boxster had those. I should know, but you need to find out. If it doesn't then you have to question the whole PPI thing and its accuracy...

Were you have PPI done in preparation to selling car or buying it?

From under car look at rear of engine out towards heads/cam covers. To get a good view of front of engine the composite plastic panel that extends across the width of the car just at the front of the engine will probably need to be removed.

If you want to go to the effort, remove the engine access panel at the rear of the cabin.

My '02 has had some slight oil seepage from somewhere on the right head/side of the engine for 10s of thousands of miles. It is enough to collect dirt/dust and turn it dark but not enough to wash the dirt away. As long as it is oil, and not flowing enough to wash away the dirt or drip on the ground or wet the surrounding items (and never ever get on rubber suspension/drivetrain bushings/etc.) then it can be ignored until car in for other work. Maybe plugs or even a clutch at which point tranny removed and engine accessibility easier.

If car being PPId prior to purchase have shop quote you rough cost of repairs and factor that into your estimate of the car's worth, lowering it course.

Or have seller fix the car -- see/get the receipts! and any warranty for hte work -- before you buy.

If you are selling the car...you might have to fix these or offer to lower the car's price by some portion of the repair cost, seeing if you can get buyer to absorb say half the cost.

Or downplay the leaks as being not worth bothering about because they're not severe enough.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks