Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Boxster compared to Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '03 S back in October and never looked back. Whenever I am not driving it I wish I was. I was traveling for work last week and driving rental cars made my week miserable. I missed my car so much . . . almost as much as my wife of course.

Anyways, yesterday I stopped by the dealer and test drove an '07 Cayman S to check out the differences up close and personal. I have always loved the Cayman and thought it was about time I take a closer look at one.

When I first got into it I thought the interior kind of lost that Porshce tradition of curves and classic styling. It almost felt like I was in a car by a domestic car manufacturer, a little more plastic, a lot more edges and less of that classic Porsche feel we have all grown to love. Don't get me wrong, it is still sweet, I just thought it was lacking that Porsche feel, but maybe that takes time as well.

As far as the power and handling, I didn't notice much of differenece, wtih the Cayman having about 25 more foot-pounds of torque. The difference I did notice was that my '03 seemed to drive more like a sports car, where as the Cayman seemed to drive more like a luxury car. The shifting was almost too smooth and the steering was very light. I just feel like all of my senses are engaged in my '03 versus the Cayman.

As a disclaimer, I probably still have a lot to learn about the Cayman, and my driving experience was for only about 15 minutes. In all, I think I can sum up my thoughts as saying . . . I wanted a convertible and chose the Boxster because of its tradition, power, fun to drive factor, and styling. So if I didn't want a convertible, then I would be driving the Cayman right now and for all of the same reasons.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
black986S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ray S
IMHO, The "s" models have no more or fewer problems than the non "s" models of the same years. Do you have any info that would prove otherwise?
Yes Ray, I would definitely agree that the S model has far fewer problems than the base Boxster. They're both a great buy now.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by black986S
Yes Ray, I would definitely agree that the S model has far fewer problems than the base Boxster.
I'll ask you a second time, NAME THEM. What problem does a base Boxster have, that an "S" of the same model year does not have?

Last edited by Ray S; 02-11-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
The only car I regret selling is my NSX. The only thing that keeps me from going back is my 07 Base Boxster. It's that good. Don't miss the Carrera S. Dont miss the 99 Carrera. Don't miss the S2000.

I also have a 335i coupe. It's awesome but the Boxster has ruined it for me. It seems too cushy.
I couldn't agree more. The base Boxster is Porsche's best kept secret. It has a decent amount of power for the street, looks great, sounds great, and has above average build quality. I bought a 987 last year for about $5K less than an Audi TT, and to me the Boxster is a far superior car.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ray S
I'll ask you a second time, NAME THEM. What problem does a base Boxster have, that an "S" of the same model year does not have?
I highly doubt that there's a differance, but even if there were, only someone at Porsche would know.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mytoy986
..the difference between the boxster and the cayman in my humble opinion is in the refinement. the cayman is a much more refined car. without losing the "porsche" feel. ..
Define "more refined". Is it not the same car, with the top chopped off one of them?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Define "more refined". Is it not the same car, with the top chopped off one of them?

I own a Boxster and have driven CSs on many occassions. The refinement argument IMO only applies to earlier Boxster models. 987s are essentially identical as far as I'm concerned: same platform, same engine, and I believe the same interior.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I highly doubt that there's a differance, but even if there were, only someone at Porsche would know.
Yep, you gotta love it when people think they can just make **** up.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
lolayay
Intermediate

As far as I know, Cayman and Boxster are the same car like fast1 and many said, except the body. The coupe body make Cayman more rigid and handle better. However, a convertible has its fun factor. As some car magazine has said, only Porsche can make a coupe (of the same model) sell more expensive than its convertible, simply because they can.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
944Leigh
Rennlist Member

O.K., are you convinced yet to buy that Boxster? I will add my voice to the chorus. I absolutely love my 02 Boxster S. But instead of selling your 944 you need to AX it! I have had so much fun AXing my 944S that I got a 924S to strip out and AX in another class.

I love the looks of the Cayman but I live in Southern California and have really enjoyed putting the top down on the Boxster.

As far as the Boxster S being more reliable, perhaps that opinion stems from the early pourous engine case problems which Porsche briefly tried to solve by sleeving the engines, which caused more problems. It is my understanding that that whole fiasco only affected the early Boxster, not the Boxster S so in that instance the S could be considered the more reliable choice. Source, I believe, was Porsche Panorama magazine, last year sometime, although Excellence magazine has discussed this too. Cheers!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Leigh
As far as the Boxster S being more reliable, perhaps that opinion stems from the early pourous engine case problems which Porsche briefly tried to solve by sleeving the engines, which caused more problems. It is my understanding that that whole fiasco only affected the early Boxster, not the Boxster S so in that instance the S could be considered the more reliable choice. Source, I believe, was Porsche Panorama magazine, last year sometime, although Excellence magazine has discussed this too. Cheers!
The S was not available during that timeframe (1998-1999). As I said earlier I've never seen any evidence that there is any reliability difference for a Boxster or Boxster S of the same model year.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mytoy986
...the difference between the boxster and the cayman in my humble opinion is in the refinement. the cayman is a much more refined car. without losing the "porsche" feel...
He's comparing his 986 with the 987 Cayman and that's the point of this thread. I agree with him, 987 is definitely more refined as is the 997 and I will explain what I mean.

Porsche softened the suspensions on the current generation base Boxster, Cayman and 911. In order to get close to the previous generations, you have to get PASM with the 19 inch wheels. The base versions are spongy in my opinion.

Even with PASM it's not the same because the electronics are always working to dampen road shock and mitigate the harshness of the low profile tires. To me this is a very strange feeling that numbs and distorts the feedback of the road. A 986 with 17 inch tires feels more communicative than a 987 with 19 inch tires. Then there's the element of the variable steering ratio and additional power assist to steering in the later models. It approaches a luxury car feel which is characterized by numbness.

I was considering buying a 987 or 997 until I drove many versions of them. It was too good of a feeling getting back into my 02 Boxster S so I shrugged my shoulders and said to myself there really is no purpose in getting a new Porsche. It's either an older 911 or keep what I have. It will probably be the latter. This car is just too much fun to drive and it's hard to beat.

Having said this, I do like how the 987s handle better than the 997s but this is do to the mid-engine balance.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
fast1
Race Car

I was considering buying a 987 or 997 until I drove many versions of them. It was too good of a feeling getting back into my 02 Boxster S so I shrugged my shoulders and said to myself there really is no purpose in getting a new Porsche. It's either an older 911 or keep what I have. It will probably be the latter. This car is just too much fun to drive and it's hard to beat.

Having said this, I do like how the 987s handle better than the 997s but this is do to the mid-engine balance.

I believe that the Boxster S is one of the best handling cars on the road, but the standard Boxster meets my needs for a comfortable handling sports car more so than the S version. On the other hand if I were going to track my car, I'd go with the S. Both are terrific cars and by Porsche standards, they are both reasonably priced.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
[B]I believe that the Boxster S is one of the best handling cars on the road, but the standard Boxster meets my needs for a comfortable handling sports car more so than the S version. On the other hand if I were going to track my car, I'd go with the S. Both are terrific cars and by Porsche standards, they are both reasonably priced.
I see your point but I'm not sure why you are responding to my post because it doesn't pertain to S vs. non-S, rather, 986 vs 987.

Quick Reply: Early Boxster compared to Cayman