Sponsored by:

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM
roach13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think?

3 weeks ago I bought a 2003 Boxster with 24,000 miles. Picked up on a Sat. and Sun while taking it for a drive the check engine light comes on. It flickers at first and then stays on. Started it on Mon, the check engine light is off, called the salesman he says nothing to worry about they all do this. One week later while driving the light comes on again, take it back to the Porsche dealer for them too look at. Two days later they call and say that it's an injector will have it fixed today. Today they called and said it's a camshaft and lifters it will be fixed next week.

The car was always running fine never felt an problem just the check engine light and it seemed to be using too much gas but I never checked the mileage. Does any of this make sense? I've never heard of a camshaft going out.

This is a certified Porsche used car another question would be how did it get certified if it's got major engine problems one day later?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats a good question! I use to work for a dealership (college years) and even though it said "certified" didn't mean it was "manufactured certified" it was more less dealership certified. Hopefully this is not the case with you. The place I worked for was a run of the mill Chrysler outfit I would hope things are different on exotics? I'm sure they will take care of you!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car has a CPO waranty, then it is a manufacturer's warranty and nothing to do with the dealer.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
racer
Drifting

My car had a "variocam actuator" fail. In essence a chain tensioner that makes sure the "camshaft opens the valves properly" - Maybe this is what failed on yours? Only one broke (forget which side of the engine.) CEL came on. Car ran fine. Slowly the car had trouble idling.. Shop "A" reset the light, only to have it come on again within 5 miles. Shop "A" did some more research before realizing it was beyond their skill level. Shop B fixed it. Have to take the motor somewhat apart, replace parts, re-time engine and test. Part alone for me was $800. Labor was about 3 times that.. Ouch. All out of pocket.

In this case, the actuator opens the variocam to allow for greater valve overlap and more power.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default The pessimistic answer is the CPO is just so much talk...

Originally Posted by roach13
3 weeks ago I bought a 2003 Boxster with 24,000 miles. Picked up on a Sat. and Sun while taking it for a drive the check engine light comes on. It flickers at first and then stays on. Started it on Mon, the check engine light is off, called the salesman he says nothing to worry about they all do this. One week later while driving the light comes on again, take it back to the Porsche dealer for them too look at. Two days later they call and say that it's an injector will have it fixed today. Today they called and said it's a camshaft and lifters it will be fixed next week.

The car was always running fine never felt an problem just the check engine light and it seemed to be using too much gas but I never checked the mileage. Does any of this make sense? I've never heard of a camshaft going out.

This is a certified Porsche used car another question would be how did it get certified if it's got major engine problems one day later?
Essentially the car receives a rubber stamp and you're left up to the whims of the dealership/factory as to whether it will do anything.

BTW, that comment by the salesman: 'they all do that' is priceless. Should have asked: Really? Show me.

Anyhow that the dealership is going to do something about this problem at least be thankful.

Could be worse... Couple of years ago was at Albuquerque NM VW dealer while I was getting the bad news on what a new alternator for my Golf TDi would cost. (The pulley having failed just a few miles outside of town -- and tossing the serpentine belt in the proces -- and I was able to limp the car into the dealership.)

Saw a guy drive in in a VW Golf TDi similar to mine and with nothing better to do sort of watched him.

He talked to service person close by where I was standing waiting for mine to get to back to me and told this service writer his car that he'd just bought from this dealership turned on CEL and he was heading out for a trip. (This just a day or so before Christmas.)

Service writer told him the car had been checked out before being certified and sold to him and the certification inspection had found the car to be in good shape, with nothing wrong, and if something wrong now the problem was his responsibility.

The driver protested some but not very much -- he wasn't sure of his ground I'm positive -- and I could tell by his face and body language that he was resigning himself to some large repair bills later on.

Felt so sorry for this guy and his attentive passengers (couple of nice looking women!). I wanted to catch his attention and see if I could help him. I had some experience with my TDi and had a code reader handy I could read the codes for him and clear them. Likely the problem wasn't serious but at least I could put his mind at ease somewhat.

But I never caught his attention before mine was taken by my dealings with this service department and he got in his car and drove away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
roach13
Instructor

Talked to the service guy this afternoon again, he is saying that it's wear on one cam lobe and wear on that lifter thinks it might be a defective cam from the factory. What they are going to do is replace the cam and all the lifters.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Dealership sells you a used car. If they fix it before you buy it, it's on their dime. Once you buy it, it becomes a warranty repair. As long as they don't charge you, it's all good.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
roach13
Instructor

The car has now been in the shop 9 days, I've only had the car 3 weeks total. The dealer is supposed to call today, but they've not been very good at calling we'll see.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Well, the good news is apparently the dealer's going to fix the engine...

Originally Posted by roach13
The car has now been in the shop 9 days, I've only had the car 3 weeks total. The dealer is supposed to call today, but they've not been very good at calling we'll see.
and not try assign the blame for the engine's problems to you.

Those parts may not be just laying around so it can take some time for them to arrive, and then when they do the tech's on another vehicle.

A slim possilility, but upon teardown something more serious may have been uncovered and the engine may need more than just one or more cams and some lifters...

When you get the car back, change that oil more frequently! Even with the Boxster engine's 'puny' valve springs the pounds per square inch at the camshaft lobe lifter face interface is in the 100,000+ psi range and each one experiences this every 2 engine revolutions.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
roach13
Instructor

I've only had the car 3 weeks, I've not put 300 miles on it. It's supposed to be ready tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the Check Engine light flashing. Isn't the light supose to flash if it is a major problem, which a worn camshaft seems like it would be?

Also, I've heard of check lights comming on after a day or so from several people. I think it would be a good idea to have a scan run before buying the car. If a light comes on, I know if you have Auto Zone, or somebody turn it off, it will be several days before it will come back on. All a dishonest person has to do, is make sure he has the light turned off, before the buyer picks up the car, and he has a couple days to a week before the light comes on. Then he denys like heck.

Bill Seifert

1998 Boxster

Quick Reply: What do you think?