Sponsored by:

Info on high mileage '97 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on high mileage '97 Boxster

I'm looking for information on what to look for when buying a high mileage (121k) '97 Boxster. The car is pretty clean and shows obvious wear for the mileage and is going for $9500. I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone help from their experience with higher mileage cars?

Thanks...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I would like to hear the answer too!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A thorough PPI would be really valuable for the example you've listed above. I would want a leakdown and compression check, and field test the tranny/clutch for any out of place feelings or sounds. I would then drain the tranny and check the oil for metal. Or you could spend $15k like I just did for a 1-owner 50k mile car. The good new is both the motor and tranny are readily available in Porsche junk yards....
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are for a car somebody is selling for 9500 bux if you start asking to do compression test etc they will just tell you to take a hike.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
efahl
AutoX

Yeah, no kidding. For only $9500, I wouldn't even waste my money on a ppi, I mean why bother? It's going to have lots of worn out stuff on it, bald tires, torn seats and probably lots of electrical gremlins ("Bosch, taking over where Lucas left off..."). I would fully expect the motor to be pretty tired after all those miles, too.

Kick the tires, take it for a drive, buy it and thrash it.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

IMO buying any high mileage German sports car is a huge risk unless you can do your own maintenance, since parts and service are extraordinarily high for German cars. On the other hand if you are a back yard mechanic and have the time, a used Porsche can be a great value. I have a friend who bought a 993 cab four years ago, and he loves that car and loves maintaining it. But even doing all the maintenance work himself and getting parts near wholesale, he told me that he has spent over $3K on parts in the last four years. On the other hand he told me that he was offered more for the car than he paid for it, so he is way ahead as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Cesko
Instructor

I'd say that it's already about $6,000 in savings. So that being said, get the PPI, but you fund it. Just don't expect a person that is selling it for that low to put in any repairs. The PPI will just let you know whether or not you're willing to take it and make a few repairs. Think of it this way, if the PPI shows about $2,000 will make it perfect again, you're still well ahead.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 PM
ste993
Pro

Thanks guys. These thoughts are exactly what are going through my mind right now and it's great to hear from those who have experience with the 986. Keep them coming and I will let you know what I decide to do.

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '99 Boxster, bought BRAND NEW off the showroom floor and by the time Thanksgiving is over, she will have just turned 170,000 miles. I would not trade this car for the world, it has been paid off for years, and I have had ZERO problems with it. Everytime I bring it to a Porsche Dealer to see what they have in stock, NO ONE can believe I have that kind of mileage on the car (read it is in VERY good shape).

Get a PPI. 121,000 IS NOT high mileage on a GERMAN sportscar. I will see 200,000 miles by the end of next year on my Boxster, and then she will get a supercharger. I would drive this car ANYWHERE, and I often grab the keys to it before I grab the keys to my 928 S4, Vette, or 930. If there are any maintenance issues on the car you are considering, take care of them and DRIVE the car. These cars are animals and they can't be killed.

$9,500 sounds like a good deal if all checks out. If you don't buy it, let me know where it is, and I will.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by efahl
Yeah, no kidding. For only $9500, I wouldn't even waste my money on a ppi, I mean why bother? It's going to have lots of worn out stuff on it, bald tires, torn seats and probably lots of electrical gremlins ("Bosch, taking over where Lucas left off..."). I would fully expect the motor to be pretty tired after all those miles, too.

Kick the tires, take it for a drive, buy it and thrash it.
You think the motor would be worn out after those kind of miles? Think so? Mine has right at 170k on the clock, and believe it or not, the car runs better than new. My mechanic did a major service on the car recently and could not believe the condition the engine is in...These cars, when taken care of and run will last and last. Trust me.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cajun
You think the motor would be worn out after those kind of miles? Think so? Mine has right at 170k on the clock, and believe it or not, the car runs better than new. My mechanic did a major service on the car recently and could not believe the condition the engine is in...These cars, when taken care of and run will last and last. Trust me.
i agree, the 97 was a good car...get a ppi. Sounds like a car that was used as a commuter. I always preferred a high mile car than a low mile garage queen...less problematic in the end...plus if the engine goes in a garaghe queen.(more likely) than that would REALLY suck...if it goes on a high miler, just get another.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Same things as when looking at low mileage car... signs of....

Originally Posted by ste993
I'm looking for information on what to look for when buying a high mileage (121k) '97 Boxster. The car is pretty clean and shows obvious wear for the mileage and is going for $9500. I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone help from their experience with higher mileage cars?

Thanks...
serious body/paint work indicating a poorly done repair arising from accident damage among other things.

A compression test is a good idea and can be done at same time PPI is done. The PPI should look for all the obvious areas of possible trouble in an early Boxster, signs of coolant in oil, oil in coolant, leaky RMS/intermediate shaft, oil leaks from other areas, etc. and so on...

But you need to be sure you can't eliminate the car for any reasons before that PPI. A PPI (and any other tests/checks like emssions/safety/etc.) should be done only when you can't find any reason to disqualify a car. Even if PPI turns up the need say for a new clutch or even a transmission overhaul, get a quote/est. on the cost and factor this into your offer. Nothing wrong with getting a car that needs some work with the cost of the work subtracted from the purchase price of the car.

BTW, 121,000 miles is not much. My '02 Boxster is just about ready to roll over 178,000 miles and has been the most trouble-free car I've owned at nearly twice the miles I've put on any other car I've owned.

Engine runs as strong today as it ever has. Oil consumption is approx. 1/2 to 1 quart every 5000 miles (oil/filter gets changed every 5000 miles). Car has original clutch, battery, but of course tires, brakes (pads even rotors several times), water pump, one wheel bearing, AOS, couple of 02 sensors, MAF have been replaced.

One O2 sensor replaced based on my mistaken diagnosis, ditto the MAF though new MAF (well if you consider nearly 80,000 miles on a MAF new...) is acting up (DTC 1117) and I may try the old one to see if it is still usuable.

Windshield finally developed a crack that spanned the whole width of the thing and I had the windshield replaced. Rear window (plastic) cracked some months back when I was less careful than I should have been putting top down (for service access to engine compartment) but have not yet replaced rear window.

As I mentioned above, engine gets oil/filter services every 5000 miles and the car gets driven almost every day, sometimes alot! More times than I can remember I've traveled 4000+ miles in the thing in one week driving half cross country and back.

With reasonable care/service and use the Boxster is good for far more miles than many owners put on the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
mbodo
Racer

Originally Posted by ste993
I'm looking for information on what to look for when buying a high mileage (121k) '97 Boxster.
... look for a car with fewer miles!

Are you planning on swapping out the motor? If so, drive this one into the dirt! I'm sure there's plenty of cheap 3.2/3.4L motors from 987 to 3.8L swaps with really low miles you can swap in.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mbodo
... look for a car with fewer miles!

Are you planning on swapping out the motor? If so, drive this one into the dirt! I'm sure there's plenty of cheap 3.2/3.4L motors from 987 to 3.8L swaps with really low miles you can swap in.
Have you not read Macster & my posts? BOTH of our cars are 170k+ cars. THESE CARS ARE BULLET PROOF.

This car could be a steal! If you are looking for a garage queen or a collectors piece, then this obviously is not a candidate. These cars are good for waaaay more than 200k when taken care of.

Come on guys, you/WE are driving the BEST engineered sportscar IN THE WORLD. These are NOT Ferraris we are talking about. Porsches are meant to be driven, and believe it or not, they get better/stronger as the miles are piled on. I would put my Boxster up against any other Boxster on the road. PERIOD.

If the car checks out, I say go for it. It has a lot more miles left in it. TRUST ME.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Boxsters are seem to be more reliable when they are DRIVEN NOT GARAGED. A bunch of folks on ppbb.com have over 100K+ on their Boxsters. All major problems should have surfaced by now,like engine failures and such.

You'll be fine.

Just get a PPI that has a compression test and take it from there.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Info on high mileage '97 Boxster