Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster S - salvage title - value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Jerry 87 928S4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster S - salvage title - value?

I have had a 928S4 for many years. I came across a salvage titled 2001 Boxster S with tip. The repairs have not been made but I know the car will be near perfect when completed.

It will need a respray and I will change the color. It has 15k miles and has been sitting for 4 years. Yes, I know they hate to sit.

I have to negotiate a price to get the the car repaired. What do you Boxster pundits think is a fair price? I am not trying to steal it, just not over pay. Also, I will keep it forever and am not worried about resale.

Without a salvage title I am guessing it is worth $23 from a non-dealer but I can not begin to guess the value with a salvage title.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

It has 15k miles and has been sitting for 4 years. Yes, I know they hate to sit.

I just bought my 01' S that has basically only had 3k put on it in 3 years,the owner left to Iraq and his wife would drive it occasionally. I just had a bunch of small things done to it that were due from it sitting for so long.....4torn c.v. boots,r.m.s. was leaking and the car was really dirty and dusty. I've taken car of the mechanical stuff but I still manage to find dust & dirt when I take stuff apart. Again nothing too big just want to warn you ahead of time.

I have to negotiate a price to get the the car repaired. What do you Boxster pundits think is a fair price? I am not trying to steal it, just not over pay. Also, I will keep it forever and am not worried about resale.

It's salvages so that means your scare away 99% of potential Boxster buyers.....making your car harder then heck to sale. I saw a 01' S for sale on Craigslist when I was looking for another Boxster. In great shape,only 20k on it,but had a salvaged title.....asking $12k or $14k(don't remember) and still didn't sale for the whole month I was looking around.

Without a salvage title I am guessing it is worth $23 from a non-dealer but I can not begin to guess the value with a salvage title.

A 01' S with decent mileage(sub 70k) can go for anywhere from $22-28k private party. I saw 01 S with 22k on it at the dealer for $31k last week. I paid $20k for my 01 S with 50k,sport touring package,hard top and other goodies it needed minor work and the family had financial issues so they either took the $20k I offered or I walked.

Honestly I wouldn't pay more then $5k for a salvaged car no matter what it is,and that $5k better be with the car repaired.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Giovanni
Race Car

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I passed on a local 01 S 6 spd with 63k miles for $19.5 with clean interior, top, exterior, 60k maintenance and a brand new clutch. In a way I am happy I did not buy it b/c its a 2 seater but it would have been a nice DD. Now I am looking for a minivan, lol.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 PM
ABC
Track Day

there is no way a salvage title 01 boxster S is worth 23k. you can do much better.

a little searching and you can find a nice boxster especially since the weather is not "convertible weather" on the east coast. check out cars.com or something...here is a little teaser (btw, this is not my car...)

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

there is no way a salvage title 01 boxster S is worth 23k. you can do much better.

He said without a salvage title, the car would be worth $23K. From my experience a car with a salvage title is virtually worthless. A good candidate for a salvage titled car IMO, is someone who is looking for a track car and who can do all of a car's maintenance by himself.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
ABC
Track Day

Ooops. I missed the "without." salvage title really messes with the value of the car. only worth it if you plan on wrenching it yourself.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has to be some upside for you ie when you are done you should have invested less than the market value. Why would you do it otherwise?

I would start at: Market price - (Repair Cost x 2)

ie $20K - ($5K)(2) = $10K

Market price is bottom of the current market price range at the very best. Depending on the extent of damage ie major damage it could be less than this. Poor quality paint would devalue the car further. I suppose the minimum it is worth is the salvage value of the power train and saleable parts.

IMHO
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally, a car "earns" a salvage title when the cost of repairs exceeds the estimated market value of the car prior to the damage. So, what ever you pay, plus the cost of the repair, will likely exceed the value of the completed car unless you do the work yourself and value your time very little. I would estimate the value of the saleable parts, MINUS the cost to remove them and make them saleable, and call that the value as it sits after the damage.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

i have seen salvaged boxsters for less than 9k...fixed ready to roll. that Salvage title bringa a whole host of bad things, for 1, you cannot get a loan against it to buy it, secondly all warranties are void and god knows who fixed it.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Cesko
Instructor

I wouldn't buy it at all. You can get Boxsters all day (especially during winter) for decent prices. Why buy a salvaged? I never understood that. Salvage cars are cheaper, but you cannot get a loan for one. So that makes me wonder, how could someone that was looking to save money even afford this car? He cannot get a loan, and obviously if he was trying to save the money then he probably wasn't planning to pay cash. Catch 22.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by Bull
Generally, a car "earns" a salvage title when the cost of repairs exceeds the estimated market value of the car prior to the damage.
Here is the thing.....I guess it's not the whole value of the car.

I just went through this when my 99' got in an accident. AAA said if it hit's 60-75% of the value then it's gonna be totaled. Had $12k in body damage and possibly a new tranny.......topped $20k right there,my car was totaled. My car's value was still at $21k with all the options & stuff,just for reference.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Jerry 87 928S4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the comments. I was actually thinking about painting it the new Boxster Orange. I remember driving an 01 when it was new and was very impressed with the car. My 928 is getting a little old (20 years) although it is in near perfect condition and I was thinking maybe it was time to try something different.

Sounds like $15k would be a top price which is not much more than I could get for my 928. So for $5k I have a car with 15k miiles versus 92k and 14 years newer. I know the person who would repair it, so it would be as mechanically sound as a salvage car can be and the paint would be as good or better than new.

Any more comments?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Cesko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jerry 87 928S4
Thanks for all the comments. I was actually thinking about painting it the new Boxster Orange. I remember driving an 01 when it was new and was very impressed with the car. My 928 is getting a little old (20 years) although it is in near perfect condition and I was thinking maybe it was time to try something different.

Sounds like $15k would be a top price which is not much more than I could get for my 928. So for $5k I have a car with 15k miiles versus 92k and 14 years newer. I know the person who would repair it, so it would be as mechanically sound as a salvage car can be and the paint would be as good or better than new.

Any more comments?

You can and all that sounds great, but just remember, you're not going to have an easy time selling it if and when you decide to. Most people will not be willing to buy a salvaged car.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Jerry 87 928S4
Burning Brakes

What about insurance? Can it be insured? What about for replacement value or will this be another risk?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Here is the thing.....I guess it's not the whole value of the car.

I just went through this when my 99' got in an accident. AAA said if it hit's 60-75% of the value then it's gonna be totaled. Had $12k in body damage and possibly a new tranny.......topped $20k right there,my car was totaled. My car's value was still at $21k with all the options & stuff,just for reference.
True, as insurance companies will leave a buffer for the cost that ALWAYS come up after the estimator gets the car apart and sees what is really needed. It varies by company, and I was using short-hand for the process they use to determine when an estimate is equal to or more than the value of the car undamaged.

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster S - salvage title - value?