Sponsored by:

Convertible top problems on the 2000 Boxter "S":

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
jvangelder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top problems on the 2000 Boxter "S":

I want to share my present experience and fix with the convertible top operating mechanism in case others have the same problem now or in the future.

The top on my 2000 Boxter "S" has always worked flawlessly until I attempted to retract it last week. Without warning, I noticed the left side of the metal top cover, which I'll call the "Clam shell" for now, raised about 2 inches then I heard the motor sound like it was straining to work. I immediately, took my finger off the retraction button, turned off the engine, and got out to see what happened. The left side of the clam shell raised but not the right side.
I reversed the processed to close the top tight and took the car to the repair shop. The mechanic removed the clam shell and found the following :
FYI : The mechanism is made up of 5 parts..... A Left and Right Transmission located at each end of the clam shell areas.....A Motor, located in the center under the clam shell..... 2 Shielded control cables that look and work just like Speedometer cables. The ends of each cables have a square shaft tip that plugs into the transmission and motor.

On my car, the right cable end broke where it plugs into the transmission so, when the motor operated, only the left side would raise. This movement also, bent the clam shell in the center.

Necessary repairs consisted of : Replacing both operating cables with new Upgraded versions(Yes, the manufacturer found the problem and made an upgrade but is not known to dealers evidently. At least, not in my area and there are no known recalls either). The mechanic had to wire the cable end to the transmission so the cable will not come out of the transmission again. The transmission has a plastic or nylon clip to do the job normally but it broke, causing the whole problem. He used wire to save the cost of a new transmission replacement($500,00+ -). Also, my mechanic had to send the clam shell to a Porsche body shop to straighten and repaint. Total cost is close to $1000.00.

So, ladies and gents, if you have a Boxter, have those cables and cheap clips checked often to prevent the headaches and repair bills I have accumulated in the past few days.

Thank you for your time and good luck to all.

Sincerely,
Jim VanGelder,XXXIII

Quick Reply: Convertible top problems on the 2000 Boxter "S":