Aftermarket headers question for a 2000 boxster 2.7L motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket headers question for a 2000 boxster 2.7L motor

Guys,
Check out this ebay auction for universal headers, they claim you can install on the 2.5, 2.7,or 3.2 motors. Specifically, go about half way down the page and read the FAQ area where he says you will get a CEL light but it is ok ? WTF? I thought if you removed the stock headers from the 2.7 motor with the cats, that the car would not run or run like crap ? I've got a code scanner that I can reset the CEL but I have a feeling the light would come back the very next time you started the car. I have a 2000 boxster with the 2.7L motor.

Here's a cut and paste from the FAQ area on the header auction:
For 2.7L & 3.2L the factory O2 sensors will fit into the headers , thats 2 x O2 Sensors on each headers.

Q- On the 2.7L & 3.2L will these headers trigger C.E.L (Check Engine Light)?
A- As mentionned above we have tested these headerson a 2002 2.7L Boxster and we had the C.E.L light came on 3 times always with the same code that has occured on a 3000 Mile testing , this is caused by the deletion of the primary cats, in return they are noticeable power gains and improved sound. So yes on the 2.7L and 3.2L the C.E.L will possibly come on.

Q-What can be done to resolve the C.E.L ?
A- Two things can be done, either you purchase a Scanner to erase the light when it comes on. Thats what I do I purchased a nice scanner online and its a great tool to have. Or you will need to relocate the 2nd O2 sensor right after the 2nd set of cats that also involves extending the wiring on the O2 sensors. This is the permanent solution. We can help you with this solution just ask we have the O2 weld sensor bungs to relocate.

Here's a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Maybe there is no perf gain or the headers are not worth the hassle due to a CEL light but I'm open for input/opinions.

Tom
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=15813
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's to be driven on the street I don't see how you can live with the CEL all the time. Spend the money to get headers that work on your car
Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

headers will set you back $1200-$1500 and offer nogain, and in most instances a loss of HP and torque.

if you want more power, sell the 2.7 and get a 986 S
Old 09-15-2007, 02:39 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
headers will set you back $1200-$1500 and offer nogain, and in most instances a loss of HP and torque.
Not always.

A vendor that sells headers for the 2.5L gained 13hp and 15lbs of torque at the wheels,proven dyno by a forum member.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I do drive the car on the street but not as a daily driver any more.
I'm OK with a CEL light as long as the car runs properly but obviously i would prefer the light not to be on.

Heck, I already have the darn airbag light on continuously because I took the seats out to test fit some 5 point seats and since i had turned on the key, that threw a fault and now I have a light. Since that is a dealer resettable item, i am not going to spend big bucks to turn off a dummy light.

Oh yeah, a 3.4L conversion would be a nice upgrade but probably not for another 5 + years or so, unless i came across a sweet deal on the motor.(which is only a small piece of the price)

But thanks for the info and link to the dyno chart !

Tom
Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you found someone with a pst2 or piwis you could probaly tell the car it was euro car and not have a cel
Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have headers on my '03 2.7L with no problems at all. My headers have bungs in them for the front O2 sensors. I also replaced the stock muffler, so I added bungs in the inlet pipes on the muffler for the rear O2 sensors. They are a couple of bucks a pair from Summit Racing. I left the secondary cats in place. You have to lengthen the stock wiring for the O2 sensors, but that is easy. I have never gotten a CEL with this setup and the car runs just fine. The car is a little bit quicker, enough to notice...and it sounds S-W-E-E-T.

...and that is from the horse's mouth !

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headers question for a 2000 boxster 2.7L motor