Sponsored by:

01 Boxster Battery Discharging

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Puhnner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Boxster Battery Discharging

I have a 01 Boxster with replacement engine installed about 13 months ago. Last week I went out to start car in the morning and the battery was just about dead. Did a quick charge and started engine, drove to work and then within 3 hours, battery was dead again. Ended up replacing the battery (diehard ) and when it was tested after installation, the tech said that 'belt loose' notification came up.

I am in for service tomorrow, I had been slow charging it the last couple of days, but decided I would charge my Motorcycle last evening instead.

This morning the Boxster battery was completely dead. So dead that I will need to follow instructions to pop hood to charge it this evening, but was curious what would cause the immediate discharge of a battery??? any thoughts? Anything to look for?

My radiator fan has been going on and off after getting home, but don't think that it cycles on and off for long...

thanks in advance for any suggestions

puhnner
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

This was a dealer telling you the "belt loose notification"? I did not know the OBD could report that. Sounds suspect to me. I mean yes it could be loose but. Fan on on hot day after shut down is normal. If you dont know what is really the problem before you take it in be prepared for a big repair bill. You will need another new battery, new belt, alternator, cables and who knows what else. If your not going to do the minor repairs and maintenance yourself this is not a going to be a cheap relationship with your car. But cost, desire, and available funds are relative. Guess I have always just had to and enjoy the tasks. If the repair estimate sounds excessive get a second opinion. Dont let them guess with your money.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Puhnner
AutoX

I agree completely about proper maintenance, etc... Unfortunately, I have not a clue of where to look first for this problem.

What is perplexing is that what ever the reason for the battery drain is sufficient to completely discharge a new battery in a car that is driven daily, within the recent span of an afternoon and an evening. The engine is a standard Porsche replacement installed last June, so it is hard to believe that it is alternator , cables, and/or engine component, but not knowing, imagine that stranger things may happen. I read a forum somewhere about a faulty ignition switch being a possibility. Who knows and hence the posting on this forum for suggestions and information.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:35 PM
senna21
Racer

One of two things is happening.
1) Your alternator isn't charging your battery.
2) You've got a draw on your battery that's causing it to discharge while the car is sitting.

A volt-meter on the battery should be able to tell you if it's discharging while sitting. It should also tell you if your alternator is charging the battery during operation.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 PM
inactiveuser1228
Race Car

Possible ignition switch failure. It happened to me, and is a common problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Puhnner
AutoX

Originally Posted by Stevestik
Possible ignition switch failure. It happened to me, and is a common problem.
Thank you for your reply.

How did you determine it was the ignition switch? Is there a test to do? I have gone online and found information, but nothing about how you get to the ignition switch as the culprit.

My mechanic has not found the cause of the draw down, but said the battery is discharging within 2 hours or so.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Puhnner
AutoX

Just received a call from mechanic, tested all and it appears that it is the alternator, cannot wait to find out the price, but found some remanufactured ones online for $300 to $425 each.

Quick Reply: 01 Boxster Battery Discharging