Okay Boxster guys, who has seen this engine failure:

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Settle down…
I understood your post, my reply was general though, and not directed at you personally chief. The "thank you" however was directed to you.

I was just pointing out the obvious so to squelch the possible additional posts asking me to contact the seller for reimbursement. I would just rather talk cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not go for a 3.2S engine?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

michael did you find anything in the oil pump?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
michael did you find anything in the oil pump?
LOL. Yes.

It looks like the oil pump that failed has been grinding away at the inner thrust surface for the last few miles. Then (by the looks of it) it seems as if the oil pump rotor pealed a sliver of the surface off (within a rotation or two max I assume) that actually ended up stuck between a rotor tip & the assembly - locking the rotor in place. Anyhow... That rotor shaft had too much runout at some point. Its pretty ugly. Thanks for asking Brad.

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Why not go for a 3.2S engine?
I dont have a core exchange for a 3.2 and with my toy barn I dont really need a faster Boxster.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of Ferrari do you have?

p.s.
I agree with your Boxster sentiment. I have a 3.2 250 HP roadster that is nimble and gets
from 0 to 100mph in a blink of an eye. I have never had even the slightest urge to make it faster...only lighter. Neither have the 3.6 996 swaps I've driven seemed like a mind blowing experience. I find both Boxsters and Non-GT/Turbo Carreras to be all underwhelming in the power deparment. That's not the point of the Porsche excersize. If we were competing that would be a different story.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Sorry about your failure, I've been in "the Business" for 30 years, and NOTHING surprises me! I do have to say that I've not come across this particular issue. My Box has 84000 on the clock, and (knock wood) it's doing fine. All in all they are great cars! (there I put my 2 cents in)
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Updates:

Photos below of actual scavenge oil pump that failed. You can clearly see the grooves in the surface of the oil pump housing in the background. As noted it looks as if it finally just pealed a nice piece of surface off (which as you can see is still sticking out of the pump at that rotor tip).

Anyhow, look how nice the new engine looks (in the second set of photos) when it arrives. Super cool crate & all. The engine comes super complete minus the A/C comp & the flywheel. Even the cats, new 02 sensors, harness and MAF come with the package. Its sweet.

I was going to finish it up today but I forgot I need new flywheel bolts so I will ait till Monday to finish.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Mr Michael B; 08-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Hey all. New engine in place as of Tuesday & all is well. Wife is back to waving as she leaves me with the kids.

Nothing sounds like a new engine I tell 'ya. This thing is as quiet as a sewing machine. I also note that there is NO rattle at startup like you hear on so many 996/986 versions. Oh, and dig this. Engine was so ready to go right from Porsche (literally) with topped up oil & even some coolant from the factory. Gotta luv that.

Okay, there is the update. Thanks for the interest.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
Just googled "Honda S2000 engine failure" - there's no shortage of tales of woe out there ($8000 for a rebuild???). I have no doubt Honda makes a great engine but"15million They've never had a single failure" is outrageous and absurd on the face of it.
I am curious to see if we can learn the root cause of this.
Cheers
Randy
Don't even get me started on how crappy Honda motorcycle engines are. It's taken me this long to get off the floor I was laughing so hard. "No failures" eh? Aside from the absurdity of that comment I've had Mazda engines that were rolling junk (so much metal in the oil the analysis company asked me if it had any oil pressure at all) but technically it did not blowup because I replaced it before it popped. Maybe Honda owners do that same thing, LOL.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Hey all. New engine in place as of Tuesday & all is well. Wife is back to waving as she leaves me with the kids.

Nothing sounds like a new engine I tell 'ya. This thing is as quiet as a sewing machine. I also note that there is NO rattle at startup like you hear on so many 996/986 versions. Oh, and dig this. Engine was so ready to go right from Porsche (literally) with topped up oil & even some coolant from the factory. Gotta luv that.

Okay, there is the update. Thanks for the interest.
Awesome. Glad it worked out OK in the end. I suspect you are right about forgetting all this in the not too distant future.

Quick Reply: Okay Boxster guys, who has seen this engine failure: