Sponsored by:

Disabling Passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
tah
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Passenger Airbag

I know on the new Boxsters the passenger seat is "weight sensitive" and bypassing the airbag (if possible) is a different procedure than on older models.

On the older models there is an install kit for defeating the passenger airbag.

My question is this: What year did the "weight sensitive" passenger seat begin? 2004?

I've got this system (weight sensitive) on my work car and with a full briefcase on the seat, when I hit a bump the weight activates the airbag. My briefcase weighs less than my 10 year-old son so I can't have that happening.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my failing memory, model year 2006.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AWS system was introduced in MY 2006 vehicles. The way the system works isn't as cut and dry. A lot of manufacturers use a similar system but I can tell you a bit about the way it works on Porsche vehicles. Sensors in the seat base sense the weight in the seat obviously. After determining the weight of the object/person in the seat it then decides how to deploy the airbag (if at all). If you place a random item on the seat, such as a briefcase or pair of shoes or whatever, the system will detect that and decide to disable the airbag so in the event of an accident the airbag doesnt create a missle in the cabin when it deploys. However when the weight approaches (Porsche will not publish detailed specs) a small child the system will recognize that and deploy the airbag accordingly.

So basically what I'm trying to say it the system responds differently to a briefcase and a child of the size/weight who is too large for a child seat.

Quick Reply: Disabling Passenger Airbag