Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

soft top problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002 | 07:13 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Post soft top problems

I'm looking at getting a 2000 non-S. I've been reading about the soft top problem that costs $2,500 to fix and that thew part takes 4 months. I know there were some imporvements in 2000, was the top one of them? Or will I need to take this into consideration.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2002 | 11:07 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

read post on this board from hplc123 on this topic. I have bought the metal replacement parts(replaces plastic from factory) mentioned in post and they look to be of solid design and appear to eliminate the potential problem.
Old 09-30-2002 | 10:20 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Jason,

I read the same thread and my thought was "glad it didn't happen to me". No one in our local PCA chapter has had this happen and I asked my service guy at my local dealer about it and he hasn't seen it happen either. I'm not discounting that it "could" happen, merely stating that I don't think this problem is widespread or something that you should worry about. The rear main seal leaking oil is the most common Boxster problem and even those affect only a small number of owners.

Still if you want to prevent it, just get those metal ends to replace the plastic ones and be done with it...
Old 09-30-2002 | 02:15 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

My partners and I decided to do this because we know how plastic gets with age, brittle. There probably aren't alot of problems with this part yet, but as the cars get older, who knows. The car we used for our instructions is a '97 model. The local dealer also has/had a few with the same problem, but I don't know how old those cars are.

Quick Reply: soft top problems