Sponsored by:

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 10:58 AM
Stavros
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sound System

Car came with Sports Package. What are any available aftermarket option concerning upgrades in the sound system? August issue of Excellence reports a speaker upgrade for $2,995 plus labor, but I am not up for that. Any of you that have info please let me know, in return I could check a vin # for you until Oct 16th.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Aftermarket or Porsche options? I'd contact Jamey at Paris Audio in L.A. and he can set you up with whatever sound enhancements you want for a Boxster, he's done the most upgrades of anyone I know of through his shop. Top notch work too.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:02 AM
SC996Box
2nd Gear

Jamie at Paris does have a very good component system but it is expensive. If you would rather replace the speakers and head unit you can do the whole thing for around $500. Like all things it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

I replaced the head unit with a Aiwa CD/MP3 player that has 50watts per channel, 23rms. I couldn't stand the way the Becker 220 works. It was difficult to navigate tracks on cd's, didn't play mp3's and the display was poor.

Next I replaced the speakers in the dash with Pioneer TS-G1047 4" coaxial speakers rated at 100watts. I used the original screws from the factory speaker and then used masking tape and sealant to fill the gap between the edge of the speaker and the plastic grill and let it set. That worked well.

Finally I added some Sony XS-V1332 3-way 5.25" speakers rated at 150 watts to the doors. They fit exactly in the factory pattern.

Now granted its not as awesome as a component system with all of the crossover frequencies adjusted just so and gobs of power, but for less than $500 it sounds much better than the factory model did even with the hi-fi setup that includes the wimpy Porsche amplifier. My head unit puts out more power than it did and I can always upgrade with more powerful amps in the future if I so desire.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:02 PM
Stavros
Track Day

Thanks guys, I will give them a call see what they have. My budget is around $1,000. I already have the head unit. Any more interesting set ups, please drop me a line. Thanks
Old 10-03-2002, 12:14 PM
John Murray
Racer

Stavros,

Check out <a href="http://www.tweeks.com" target="_blank">www.tweeks.com</a> they have a speaker kit for under $200.00 that goes behind the seats where the storage is just under the roll bar. I have seen and heard these and they make a marked improvement in the stock system.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Sound System