Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum bezel puzzle - Boxster gurus help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 02:44 PM
ArcticCzar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post aluminum bezel puzzle - Boxster gurus help!

Hello, everyone! I was hoping somebody here could help clear this up for me. I need to find a set of silver gauge bezels for a Boxster. I've seen standard Boxsters with what I assume is colored plastic around the gauges. I've also seen Boxster S's with "aluminum" bezels. Of course asking the dealer muddied the waters considerably. So...are the "aluminum" bezels truly aluminum, and if so are they just a separate add-on piece? Also, are the painted plastic bezels separate, or are the gauges painted? Any answers will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:14 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The trim rings are plastic - painted silver. Jeff
Old 11-26-2002, 02:02 PM
ArcticCzar
Racer

Thanks Jeff! Are the rings removable, or is the whole big piece just painted on the edges?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The 3 rings are removable for painting from the rest of the part. It is a pain because they are glued on and you have to break the glue bond to get the rings off. You could try to paint them in place but it would be hard to mask off the clear plastic lenses. Jeff
Old 11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
ArcticCzar
Racer

I wanted to bump this to see if anyone with an S can tell me if they're truly aluminum or removable. Jeff - it sounds like you speak from experience...thanks.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

ArticCzar,

I see you are in KC, why don't you come to the next breakfast this Saturday at LePeep, or the next social night and those of us with Boxster S's will let you check out our rings first hand. Info on meetings can be found at:

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/kcrpca/" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/kcrpca/</a>
Old 11-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The picture is from a 2001 or newer S, that is why it has the white/silver dials and the silver trim rings. I only mention the year as the new style cluster can out in 2001 and that is the one in my picture.

The rings on the new and old style cluster can be removed but it is a bitch not to break anything. Also, the plastic lenses are glued to the rings. The silver rings, just like the standard black rings, are plastic, just painted silver on a S. I took one off to show you.

If you want to take your black rings off to have them painted then do not break anything as you cannot get parts from VDO. I have 2 freight damaged instrument clusters (old and new style)that I use to play around with. Jeff[IMG] <a href="http://www.986host.com/albums/ToolPants/cluster_trim_ring2.sized.jpg[/IMG]" target="_blank">http://www.986host.com/albums/ToolPants/cluster_trim_ring2.sized.jpg[/IMG]</a>
Old 11-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Second try at the picture.

Quick Reply: aluminum bezel puzzle - Boxster gurus help!