Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Boxster S over a Z4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually you will trade the Z4 in on the Boxster.............so might as well get it right the first time. Compromise can be more expensive than just getting what you know you really want in the first place. The numbers on performace are there to look at. Thats not what you see when you go to your garage each day. Good luck with the decision.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Eventually you will trade the Z4 in on the Boxster.............so might as well get it right the first time. Compromise can be more expensive than just getting what you know you really want in the first place. The numbers on performace are there to look at. Thats not what you see when you go to your garage each day. Good luck with the decision.
Oh so true. Made that mistake a couple of times in my life, once quite famously.

If you don't feel the connetion when you test drive the Boxter (you did test drive one, right), maybe it's not for you. Try the 996, maybe that will speak to you. Drive a couple of each.. not just one.

The first 911 I drove, I was not impressed. I did not give up and drove another, which spoke to me, and went home with me a couple of hours later. Same thing with the second one. I'm sure the 3rd and 4th will as well.

Even if you settle for a Beemer you are still not doing too bad.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think the Boxster is tagged as a womans car? At least Porsche sells them to men as much ore more than women. The BMW? yeah, you need a set of ***** to buy that. It's a pre-requisite at the dealership before you can sit down and sign the paperwork for one. You'll pretty well have to send your wife in to the dealership if you want one.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want the logical decision you would buy a corrolla. So that establishes that this is an emotional decision. Ask your wife if she would accept the (insert mid level designer here) coat when she could get the (top level designer) one for a modest amount more.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Didn't even consider the Z4. It's way too ugly.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Tierce
Pro

i guess the final question is: Why are you still debating?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
First986NJ
Racer

I'm beginning to think BrockPorsche is just baiting the board.

First it was 911 or Boxster, but the Boxster didn't impress. Now it's Boxster or Z4, but the boxster costs more, so what makes it worth more than the Z4? Apparently the superior 911 acceleration has dropped in importance.

Bottom line: Go drive the cars you can get within your budget. Look at sales numbers, look at test reports and cost of ownership numbers. Just remember, some things are intangable - thats why you have to drive them.

If you have already done all that, and you still aren't convinced that a Porsche is the clear cut choice, be that a 911 or a Boxster, then you probably don't want one, or need one for that matter. I'm not trying to be nasty here, it's just that if you have driven a Boxster or 911, and you don't clearly understand why "there is no substitute", then a Porsche probably isn't for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the boxster over the Z4 in almost all respects, and I've wanted a Porsche all my life.

The only real issues I have with the Boxster (other than the price premium) is the 03 MOST system and -02 stereo systems are poor...and I get leg cramps when I drive a boxster/911 since my knee sits jammed against the steering wheel so I have to cant my left sideways.

Just trying to figure out how I can justify the extra cost It's not about not trying to get the cheapest car at all...I'm also looking at 996s pretty heavily. It's about getting good value for $. I'm trying to figure out if the Boxster is that.

I drove a few S cars today. Nice ride. Nice as much push as the Z4 or my G35 but does feel very connected. Sales-droid insisted on riding along so I wasn't comfortable really pushing it.
Brock, if your frame isn't comfortable in the car, then it won't be enjoyable to you. Not much that can be easily done about that.

As far as a Boxster being good value for the money? OK, to a Porsche owner, especially a Boxster owner, that question is almost silly. Consider please:

New 911 Cabrio: $92,800 base, 355/295 hp/torq, 0-60 4.7, top speed 182
New 987S: $55,500 base, 295/251 hp/torq, 0-60 5.2, top speed 169

So, the Boxster has 83% of the 911's HP and 85% of its torque; 90% of its 0-60 performance; and 93% of its top speed performance. 987 gets 2 more mpg than the 911. AND - as I know at least one 911 owner has told you, the 987 has superior handling due to the mid engine design.

But wait - its only 60% of the 911 price !!! Son, if that isn't your idea of value, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Not baiting at all. Just a victim of over-analysis paralysis.

It's a personality flaw.

I loved the Boxster S drive. It was a nice car. It's just SO close to a 911 in price that the jump is tantalizing. You guys have all heard it before I'm sure.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

How about the fact that a Boxster looks 10x better then a Z4,that should account for something.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Not baiting at all. Just a victim of over-analysis paralysis.

It's a personality flaw.

I loved the Boxster S drive. It was a nice car. It's just SO close to a 911 in price that the jump is tantalizing. You guys have all heard it before I'm sure.

Are these both new ? Even the 987S to the base Carerra is like 17k difference. Thats like a 30% jump. I wouldn't consider that close. Did you look at a Cayman S? - kind of mid way between the other two.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SDDave
Put those two quotes together, and that's your answer. Someone referenced reading ANY auto mag that has covered these two cars- and you'll often, if not ALWAYS find an article that will directly compare the two. However, one thing that is overlooked is that the Z4 is almost always put against the base-model Boxster... and the Boxster still wins. Add the S to the equation, and the Z4 is sucking hind tit in a big way.

Dave
San Diego
The reason for this of course is that the Boxster S is priced the same as an M Roadster, a car that in a lot of comparisons "wins". Not to say it's the choice for everybody, but there are lot of good things going for it, and it's definately a bit of the Porsche fever to outright dismiss it.
Originally Posted by fer2367
I have had a Boxster S and now I have a BMW MRoadster (Z4). I agree that the feelings and the precision you can get with the Porsches are far superior than the M. Having said that, the M Roadster is a good car, but 2 things are very off in my humble opinion:
1) the brakes, powerful but without feeling...very difficult to modulate at street speeds
2) gear lever - clucth action...very inferior to the Porsches, especially the clucth. It seems like the car takes a second to follow your commands

My .2 cents
I agree, I had a boxster S (a 986 mind you) and now have an M Roadster. I know exactly what you mean about the brakes, they are insanely powerful but they are hard to tell what's going on. I disagree about the clutch/shifter, I prefer my M Roadster's shifter to the longer travel 986/996 shifter.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Are these both new ? Even the 987S to the base Carerra is like 17k difference. Thats like a 30% jump. I wouldn't consider that close. Did you look at a Cayman S? - kind of mid way between the other two.
The ranges I'm looking are 02/03 for Boxster S, 99-03 for 911, 03/04 for Z4
Old 04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
First986NJ
Racer

The ranges I'm looking are 02/03 for Boxster S, 99-03 for 911, 03/04 for Z4
Ahh, I see. Yea, that brings the 911 closer to the 986. I made the same decision when I bought my '03 986, except for the Z4 - which I only briefly considered as an option.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by lowside67
The reason for this of course is that the Boxster S is priced the same as an M Roadster, a car that in a lot of comparisons "wins". Not to say it's the choice for everybody, but there are lot of good things going for it, and it's definately a bit of the Porsche fever to outright dismiss it.
I agree, I had a boxster S (a 986 mind you) and now have an M Roadster. I know exactly what you mean about the brakes, they are insanely powerful but they are hard to tell what's going on. I disagree about the clutch/shifter, I prefer my M Roadster's shifter to the longer travel 986/996 shifter.

It may be a bit of Porsche fever, but your also comparing an 00 Boxster to an 03 M. I think the conclusions would be somewhat different were you comparing an 03 986 to an 03 M, which is what I did. I drove them both, and dismissed the M in fairly short order. Thats not to say it is a bad car,mind you. It is quite a fun roadster to drive, just didn't have the balance of the mid engine Porsche roadster and definately did not have the feel of the Porsche. It also isn't as comfortable inside and is quite a bit narrower.

As far as the shifter throw, you have a point there. Then again the first thing 50% of the Boxster owners do, I think, is throw in a B&M SS or a clone of same. Not a big deal really, maybe an hour time and between $75 and $200 - depending on if your stuck on buying ONLY the B&M or not. Even so, I wouldn't let trivial stuff like this be the deciding factor on which car I was going to spend $40k to buy. The change is hardly more involved than an oil change.

Quick Reply: Why a Boxster S over a Z4?