Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Why a Boxster S over a Z4? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/348269-why-a-boxster-s-over-a-z4.html)

BrockPorsche 04-29-2007 04:40 PM

Why a Boxster S over a Z4?

Pretty decent price difference. Z4 drove nicely.

Thoughts? Curious on a Boxster-S owners POV...what do you love about your car that you feel is unique.

Tierce 04-29-2007 04:56 PM

It's a Porsche. No substitute. Period.

blueillusion97 04-29-2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tierce

+1

BrockPorsche 04-29-2007 05:11 PM

I expected that would be the first answer :)

I agree...however I'm looking for logical reasoning rather than emotional reasoning. Arguably that can be considered both so can you please expand on the logical.

This isn't my situation but pretend it is...pretend I needed to justify the somewhat significant premium of the S over the Z4 to the wife. A lot of people would say "it's a BMW, there is no substitute".

dennis a from pa 04-29-2007 06:02 PM

Just read any comparo in most auto pubs...they all feel the Boxster is best all around sports car, and it is. No car travels as well as the Boxster (I have 2 x-country trips in mine,34 states and 2 Canadien provinces) and after 14 hours I'm still not cranky.

It auto crosses like a race car...and tracks like one as well.

As Car and Driver said...you can feel this is a great car just backing out of a parking space.

Feed back through the steering wheel tells you what the front tires are doing, better than any car you can buy off a showroom floor for less tha 100 grand.

I could go on and on, but whether it be a 2.5 '97 or a new Cayman you won't be sorry. I've tried many as an AX instructor and none compares.

MikeBat 04-29-2007 06:11 PM

Well, one thing that is so obvious when you drive it is the steering. The feel at turn in is just perfect. You can feel every nuance of the road through the controls, with the white noise filtered out. Plus, that induction noise, combined with the valvetrain noise, and the exhaust.... it is like a symphony.

Then you step on the brakes.... it is like an incredible magnet pulling you backwards.

Then there is the handling. Just spot on.

And then there are the looks. The Boxster is just a thing a simple beauty. Flowing lines, and a strong nod towards the past designs.

blueillusion97 04-29-2007 07:07 PM

O and Boxster is a mid engine car while Z4 front

Tierce 04-29-2007 08:34 PM

all that, plus some. not to mention: 2 trunks.

Pzkw993 04-29-2007 10:22 PM

The Z4 has more of that long-hood classic roadster feel, so if you enjoy cruise-ins and that sort of thing, the Z4 does that better. Plus it's a pretty neat-looking car and the motors are peerless.

designman 04-29-2007 11:27 PM

If you are on the fence, maybe getting a Z4 and saving money is the best bet. It should be very clear why you would want to spend more. If money is an issue I'd get an S2000 way before a Z4. For that matter I'd get an S2000 before a Z4 even if money wasn't an issue. The Boxster is a brilliant all-around design. If you can't come to appreciate this, then just save your money.

BrockPorsche 04-30-2007 12:03 AM

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the boxster over the Z4 in almost all respects, and I've wanted a Porsche all my life.

The only real issues I have with the Boxster (other than the price premium) is the 03 MOST system and -02 stereo systems are poor...and I get leg cramps when I drive a boxster/911 since my knee sits jammed against the steering wheel so I have to cant my left sideways.

Just trying to figure out how I can justify the extra cost :) It's not about not trying to get the cheapest car at all...I'm also looking at 996s pretty heavily. It's about getting good value for $. I'm trying to figure out if the Boxster is that.

I drove a few S cars today. Nice ride. Nice as much push as the Z4 or my G35 but does feel very connected. Sales-droid insisted on riding along so I wasn't comfortable really pushing it.

SDDave 04-30-2007 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by designman
If you can't come to appreciate this, then just save your money.

Put those two quotes together, and that's your answer. Someone referenced reading ANY auto mag that has covered these two cars- and you'll often, if not ALWAYS find an article that will directly compare the two. However, one thing that is overlooked is that the Z4 is almost always put against the base-model Boxster... and the Boxster still wins. Add the S to the equation, and the Z4 is sucking hind tit in a big way.

BMWs are nice cars... their styling is looking a little suspect (in fact, if you like your G35, just wait and buy the new M3- they're identical), but they're nice cars. But- if you have to have one or the other, you buy a Porsche.

If you are seriously considering the choice between the two... just buy the BMW- leave the Boxster for someone who knows what they're buying.

That way, the next time you're up for buying a new car, you'll know what you missed out on the first time, and you'll make the right decision for the rest of your life... Porsche!! :cool: :D

Dave
San Diego

unklekraker 04-30-2007 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SDDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by designman
If you can't come to appreciate this, then just save your money.

Put those two quotes together, and that's your answer.

just buy the BMW- leave the Boxster for someone who knows what they're buying.

That way, the next time you're up for buying a new car, you'll know what you missed out on the first time, and you'll make the right decision for the rest of your life... Porsche!! :cool: :D

Dave
San Diego

nicely done, Dave! x100

@brockporsche - I was on the same page as you are few months ago. Z4, S2k and Boxster is the last choice but the first time I saw the Boxster..it's like a magnet and base on the cool factor after I put them side to side (luckily the local dealer has all the cars mentioned in their lot)...the boxster is screaming my name :evilgrin:

fer2367 04-30-2007 01:36 AM

I have had a Boxster S and now I have a BMW MRoadster (Z4). I agree that the feelings and the precision you can get with the Porsches are far superior than the M. Having said that, the M Roadster is a good car, but 2 things are very off in my humble opinion:
1) the brakes, powerful but without feeling...very difficult to modulate at street speeds
2) gear lever - clucth action...very inferior to the Porsches, especially the clucth. It seems like the car takes a second to follow your commands

My .2 cents

BrockPorsche 04-30-2007 01:55 AM

fer: great feedback, thanks :)

I'm already aware of the "it speaks to you..." and "there is no substitute"...this is why I've been trying like mad to find a 996 the past 3-4 months. I've wanted a Porsche all my life :) What I am looking for was tangible "it's better in this way" or "have you thought about this"

Cheers