Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Todd, very nice writeup. Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
914v8porjekt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess what I have learned so far from all of my research and emails is that for previous earlier boxsters without egas or the variocamplus, in order to successfully integrate and control the variocamplus, you have to come up with an external control such as what John at Vitesse racing has done or with what Todd is also developing. Which both are not controlled by the dme like its supposed too, and they are not even available to the public in general. In order to control the variocam+ successfully you have to have an egas variocam+ boxster or change out your dme and wiring harness from a later car into the earlier cars which means changing out the immobilizer to match your car's code, changing your gauge cluster or modification, and/or adding the pedal sensor for the electronic throttle body.
In either case anything is possible to do and accomplish, I guess what it comes down to is the amount of time/money you are willing drop into a car. And if it is justifiable.

I think for me, the best route will be to just do the simpler 1999 3.4 swap, given the fact tha I have an early non egas/variocamplus car. If I had a later boxster with variocamplus already, the 3.6 or 3.8 would've definitely been the choice because of the ease in integration of the variocam plus.

I just think that its way too much time and energy to do a 3.6 swap in an early car when at the end you are only getting a 25hp increase, and you still won't be able to control the variocamplus with the dme like its supposed to. Unless there is an external controller out there in the market (reasonably priced) that can perform the same functions the dme would've done with the variocamplus, the 3.4 will have to be the choice for me.

So John or Todd, whats the verdict on your controllers?

Last edited by 914v8porjekt; 04-27-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:04 AM
moosport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to upgrade the brakes after adding the extra power.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 914v8porjekt
So John or Todd, whats the verdict on your controllers?
Please do post more info on your VarioCam+ controllers. While fitting a 3.4L in a 2.5L Boxster is probably the most practical route (+1/3 displacement), a separate VarioCam+ controller is the holy grail of doing engine swaps on the 7.2 DME'ed Boxster S. A 3.2L -> 3.4L is hardly worth it.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have spoken with John, and it turns out we have separately done very similar things and I have provided him with the details on what I have done. Since he runs a business doing these sorts of things, I will leave it up to him to provide this as a commercial product.

While the aftermarket controller is the easiest and cheapest route, with a 7.2 Boxster, I don't think integrating the 7.8 system is too difficult. I will keep those interested updated with how the integration of the 7.8 into my 5.2.2 goes. I am attempting to do it without changing all the other CAN bus systems.

Todd
Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Update, I was able to integrate the 7.8 DME into my car.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=14019

Quick Reply: Whats needed in a 3.6 swap? Help!