Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 12:32 PM
993TTaddict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertible Top Care

My wife's 99 Boxster Top no longer repels water. This car just turned 12,000 miles and is stored every winter and parked at work under covered parking. It is only driven on sunny, dry, windless days. The top is always down when she drives it, so basically, the top has never been exposed to the elements. It is washed only with Griots Car wash which I beleive is very mild. Last year I very carefully applied the Porsche top restorer spray (which came in the little metal suitcase kit) which helped a little but I am still not happy with it.
Any remedies that are suggested will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. F.Y.I. - Using pledge on the plastic rear window after it is clean will really clear up the window and hide a lot of little scratches.
Thanx to all -
Old 04-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
First, if the top leaks, you have problems. Second, if it no longer 'beads' it is still waterproof, so don't worry.

What I do on my '99 996 Cab is a once/year treatment with the Porsche top protectant. I carefully check for any bird poop or other problems, clean the area, let top dry, mask off the rest of the car and spray the top well. One can can treat the top twice if you do it right.

It beads for about 6 months or so, but even after the beading stops the top is still fine.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Care