Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow, when the battery dies, it dies quickly!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow, when the battery dies, it dies quickly!

yesterday morning, car started fine, parked during work as usual

went to start car to go home and it cranked really slowly, windows flaked out, obc cleared... uh oh, tried again, same, tried a 3rd time and held it, it finally kicked over and ran fine

drove the 30 miles home fine, decided to go to the autozone to see what they had hoping for the good optimas but they only had the smaller 710 CCA red top... went outside, car won't even turn over now... oops

I got the smaller Optima anyway, which is currently secured with the nylon REI belt I was wearing, good thing I wasn't wearing a leather belt :P

now I need to get the mounting plate, and hope that the smaller battery is up to the task
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Schnell!
Track Day

You might want to verify there isn't some kind of draw on the circuit. Batteries don't normally go quite that quickly. If you've got a multimeter I can walk you through it. It's really easy.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

yeah, I was afraid of that, I can pick up a multimeter on the way home, I've needed one awhile

the battery was dated as being 5 1/2 years old though, so I'm not to afraid of it

Last edited by stumpjumper; 04-20-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Years ago in my 944, my battery died that quickly. The voltometer was down when I noticed it at the gas station. It turned over a little slow, but started. Instead of proceeding to my next destination, I went straight home. Shut it down, tried to restart it......nothing. I always say that having that voltometer instead of an idiot light saved me a lot of grief. I knew something wasn't right, before the battery ended up dying completely. I really wish all sportscars had the "full" instrumentation.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:12 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

yeah, the voltmeter would be nice, between that and the oil pressure the carrera cluster is very tempting
Old 04-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
yeah, I was afraid of that, I can pick up a multimeter on the way home, I've needed one awhile

the battery was dated as being 5 1/2 years old though, so I'm not to afraid of it
Uaual life span of an Automotive battery is 4 to 5 years. Your doing not too bad with 5 1/2 years. Now ... with the new battery chargers ... they have a conditioner cycle that helps rid the plates of sulfate so it will hold a charge. Plates get to covered ... unable to hold a charge.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Lyn Islaub
2nd Gear

Here in Phoenix we get about 2 years out of a battery and they will usually die without any warning. One moment they are fine and the next they won't have enough power for even the park lights. The heat here kills batteries very quickly, even if the cars are garaged. The trick is to buy a Sears DieHard with the 5 year unconditional guarantee and rget them replaced for free every 24 -30 months.
Lyn
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on the orignal factory battery going into year seven! wonder is this why my electric trunks and key fob clicker is acting up.

Quick Reply: wow, when the battery dies, it dies quickly!