Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Boxster S or M3 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001 | 08:33 PM
BrianS
Intermediate

Question Boxster S or M3 Convertible?

Okay, here's my dilemma ... I own a 325i Convertible and I'm looking to upgrade to either an M3 convertible or Boxster S. Haven't driven the M3, but have driven the Boxster and (obviously) it handles like a dream.

Hmmmm... so much to consider. Advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2001 | 08:36 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Well, it's just my opinion, but...

BOXSTER S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No question, beautiful car. I'm sure the M3 is very nice, but it's also about $10,000 more money than the Porsche.

But hey, this is a Porsche site, so you know our opinions will be somewhat biased...My opinion - drive both, then buy the Boxster!
Old 10-26-2001 | 09:17 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

You are not comparing apples to apples. However, if these are the only two cars to choose from and price is not a consideration, I would go for the M3 with the SMGII gearbox option. With that, the M3 would be a lot more exciting to drive and a lot faster than the Boxster.
Old 10-27-2001 | 01:24 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Nice delima. I own a Boxster S but placed an order to replace it with the 02 M3 with the SMG II, so that should tell you where I stood on it. I cancelled the order however, (the dealer was nice enough to refund my deposit) not becuase I didn't want the M3 but because I saw the resale values on the S slipping and it wasn't worth it to me to take a loss. I am VERY happy with the Boxster S and use it only on weekends or for an evening drive. Initially I found the allure of the SMG II hard to pass up but then in the end couldn't rationalize the expense for a car I use so infrequently. If the Boxster S was my daily driver I would have gone for it. If I hit the lotto then that's a different story, forget the M3 it would be a ferarri witht he F1 shift. It is fun to dream isn't it..... Take care,
Old 11-19-2001 | 12:12 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Wow, this is a great dilemma to have right now. Anyway, i think this is the deciding factor: if you need those extra two seats go for the M3, if not then spring for the Boxster.....and with that extra cash do some mods and have fun with it.

later,

amir
Old 11-21-2001 | 02:30 AM
Alex H
AutoX

If you like driving and autoxing, get the Boxster S -- there's nothing compare to the mid-engine handling and the sound of engine from a few inches behind your ears.

If you want 4 seats (okey, 2+2 ) and a daily drive, go for the M46M3. Mind you, the driver feedback (e.g. sound, steering) is a big factor for many people who I know sold their M46 coupe and got the Boxste S.

How many mid-engine roadster we will own in our lives? Go getta Boxste S!

Just IMHO,
- Alex.
Old 12-03-2001 | 05:32 PM
brobbinson
Instructor

Actually, in the current market, you can get a "new" MY 01 carerra cab (or low milage late model 99-00) for not that much more than the m3 (gives you 2+2, great performance and its a porsche!).
Old 12-07-2001 | 09:47 AM
JasonN
Advanced

One more thing to think about.
If you only keep your cars for two or three years I would go Boxster S, but if you want to keep it for 5 or 6 years I would go M3. Reason being is that the boxster is due for a redesign in a couple of years and the new M3 will be arounfd for about 5 or 6 more years.
Old 12-27-2001 | 04:23 PM
cargraphicusa
AutoX

No doubt the M3 is a good lookng all around touring car, The S on the other hand is a sports car through and through, Mid-engine,Porsche design, It really depends on what you will use the car for.
Old 12-27-2001 | 04:25 PM
cargraphicusa
AutoX

No doubt the M3 is a good lookng all around touring car, The S on the other hand is a sports car through and through, Mid-engine,Porsche design, It really depends on what you will use the car for.

Quick Reply: Boxster S or M3 Convertible?