Sponsored by:

plastic window

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 08:05 PM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Post plastic window

Hi everyone! I'm a recent convert from the 964 forum to the Boxster forum with the recent sale of my '91 964 and the subsequent purchase of a '99 Boxster. I love the car and i'm looking forward to some warmer weather for top down fun.
I've encountered a problem that I hope someone can offer a solution for. As the top is lowered, the rear window tends to become kinked and does not bend across the center smoothly as it should. The car is now almost 4 years old, and the window had no visible marks or blemishes- until today. When I lowered the top it again kinked the clear window and I immediately closed it. However, it left a visible bump and a white mark on the window that does not appear to be dissappearing. It's been about 6 hours since it happened.
I try to always lower the top about 1/3 of the way down, get out and make sure the window is folding properly, then lower it the rest of the way, but I can't always do this. I shouldn't have to!
Does anyone know any tricks for helping this?
My car has only 16K miles and is in excellent condition. With so few miles, I figure perhaps the previous owner did not 'exercise' the top enough and it may be more brittle(the window) than normal. Is there any product that may help restore the flexibility to the plastic that it once had?
thanks for any suggestions
Old 01-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 1997 w/ original top and plastic window is 6 years old this month. There are no tricks - but if it is warm then it folds w/o help. The bump may go away with the top up in the sun. Jeff
Old 01-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Banks
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a small white spot too. I made it go away with judicial use of a hair dryer. I think you will have to get used to getting out and creasing the window.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:09 PM
John Murray
Racer

You can:

Get out and fold it.

Get out and place a rolled towel in there so it wont kink.

Upgrade to a 2003 complete top with glass window. BIG$$$

Good Luck, sounds like a nice car.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:49 PM
boxsterfan
Intermediate

Aaaaahhhh Yes! The infamous Boxster Chop. I have a 2002 and the same issue.

Depending on your level of anxiety, most Boxster owners:

1. Do the "chop" to get the crease every time they close it.

2. Do a towel or pillow in there to stop the crease.

3. Do nothing and enjoy. New windows can be installed for approximately $300-400.

For me, I just let it ride!!! Of course, I am still under warranty.

BTW, converting the top to a 2003 setup is about $7,000 because the top, frame structure and motors have to be replaced. It can be done however.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies.
I'm of the mind to "let it ride", but was told by a friend and Boxster owner that the windows are not replacable. Not true?
Also, mine is still under warranty. Is it worth having the dealer look at it? (sounds like there's not much they can do about it)
Old 01-24-2003, 10:38 AM
JMorgan456
Track Day

I do not do the chop -- but I also make a point of keeping the top up if temps below 50 deg.

the colder it is the worse the crease is. I find that it goes away when the window is warm.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:28 PM
boxsterfan
Intermediate

The windows are replaceable. If under warranty, you should be able to get it replaced no-charge if it can not be "buffed out" by the dealer.

Personally, I would push for a new window under warranty from the dealer (especially if you are approaching the end of your warranty term).

Quick Reply: plastic window