Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

How difficult is it to do maintenance yourself on a boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:08 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Default How difficult is it to do maintenance yourself on a boxster S

I am used to doing majority of the service on my cars myself. I have been looking at purchasing a Boxster S, and would like some imput on how easy or difficult it is to do the majority of the engine maintenance.

I have been looking for an air cooled/oil cooled 911, but after driving a number of Boxsters, I am leaning towards this car. The S 3.2 is one great driving car.

Jon

87 BMW 635 csi highly modified
looking for a Porsche
Old 03-30-2007 | 08:50 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Changing oil, and filter, no sweat.
Changing air filter and pollen filter, no sweat. Access to motor is easy.
Changing plugs, not an issue.
Brakes, couldn't be easier.
Serpentine belt, once you learn to remove panel behind the seats, not an issue.
Even the water pump, Alternator and A/C components are accessable from this area.
So, if you've wrenched it on other cars, you can on this one too.
Old 03-30-2007 | 09:28 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

I'm about to do my 30k service tomorrow, plus a brake fluid flush, and I'm not worried one bit between the info here and on renntech, with the Bentley manual I got from amazon the only things I can't do yet involve the computer... but the duramentric software is maturing nicely so that shouldn't be to far off

it takes me less time to change the oil on my boxster than it does on my allroad, and the allroad doesn't need to be jacked up to get under it!

Porsche breaks are simply the easiest things to to work on, takes less time to do all 4 in that car than 1 corner in my allroad

the only thing that looks easier on my allroad is the plugs, but that's only because you need to put the box on ramps to get to them
Old 03-30-2007 | 11:34 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

As a fellow DIY type, the main difference is that you have to do some extra work to get access to the top / side of the engine. This is explained very well in the owners manual and in the Bentley manual. However, you don't need to mess with this for most things, like oil changes and brakes.
Old 03-31-2007 | 10:09 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Just get a Bentley manual its the best investment you can make when doing your DIY things on your car. The boxster is like any other car, you can learn to work on it no problem.
Old 04-02-2007 | 01:57 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

Thank you everyone.

I own an 87 BMW 635 csi and have done everything to my car in the seven years I have owned it.

In my early years, I owned a 71E and a 76S.

I have been looking for a mid year 70s, but the Boxster S is such a nice car in my opinion.

For the same money of rebuilding an early/mid year 911. The Boxster sems a good choice.

Jonny

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to do maintenance yourself on a boxster S