Sponsored by:

EVO install / stock air box removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVO install / stock air box removal

For everyone out there who put an EVO V-FLow in their Boxster. I see a LOT of posts where guys are talking about cutting the stock air box out during an EVO install because they couldn't get it out.

The EVO instructions seem to clearly detail how to remove it, and make it sound like it WILL come out, although not easily. Has ANYONE got this box out in one piece? Were some of these guys not willing to unbolt the intake or something in order to get the stock box by it, and this is why they had to cut it out ?

Anyone out there who actually did get the stock box out in one piece ?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you remove the drivers side of the intake manifold, and get it shoved as far to the passenger side as you can, it is possible to get the intake out in 1 piece. I will say this though, of the many dozen of intakes I have removed, almost all of them have broken at least the rearmost mounting tabs. If you do a bit more work on the intake removal, you can avoid this, but for me it is easier to just bust the rear tab off and pull out the intake, since it is going in the garbage anyway.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine out in one piece with the install instructions provided from EVOM. I undid the bolts to the manifold like Doc says and was able to pull mine out. It bent the rim around the engine hole a little bit because of prying it out but no big deal it came out ok.

The bolts on the bottom of the box are terrible to get out. I did find tho with the car sitting on the floor not jacked up was the easiest way. I just layed beside the car undid the plastic cover under the car and could reach up inside there easily with my arm and reach the bolts on the bottom of the air box. Jacking up the car made it worse as it just put the bolts farther away while I was laying on the ground.

I could install one now in about an hour and a half if I had to do it again.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Doc, Jim,

I found this post about installing the EVO/removing the stock air box in the PPbb board archives that might be outlining an easier route.

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/s...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Basically, it says, with the car up on 4 stands:

Remove the center bottom pannel.
Support the front of the engine with a hydraulic jack.
Loosen the front engine mount bolts.
Drop the front of the engine about one inch with the hydraulic jack. (says there is enough room to drop the engine about 2" without removing the cross braces)
Completely remove your airbox (intact).
Raise the engine back to its original place and re-torque engine mount bolts.
Install the bottom pannel.

Seems like a better route than unbolting the intake, and really not that difficult. Comments ?

Andy
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, sure if you absolutely want your stock airbox out in one piece! I have never put a stock unit back in, nor had the request to do so
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Like I said, I got mine out in one piece without that. Just takes some pulling and perstistance. Per the docs from EVOM it comes out, dont worry. It wont break either if your not crazy with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, sure if you absolutely want your stock airbox out in one piece! I have never put a stock unit back in, nor had the request to do so
I can believe that easily enough. I just hate to destroy the stock parts Doc. Old habit. Plus, I'll have the car jacked up anyway, putting the headers and exhaust on.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I finished installation of the exhaust last night and let the car back down to finish the EVO install. I carefully considered all three methods of removal of the stock air box that I was made aware of.

After a cold beer and discussing the merits and pitfalls of the various methods of air box removal with my helper/daughter we arrived at the most attractive conclusion......

I BUSTED THE SUCKER UP AND TOOK IT OUT PIECE BY PIECE.

Stop laughing hysterically Doc......
Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Lol. You could have TOTALLY got it out in one piece you know. I had mine out in one piece in under 10 minutes from the time it was loose to the time it was outta the engine bay. I never even took the top off to see what the air filter looks like. To each their own I guess.
The following users liked this post:
CarGuyNeil (02-04-2022)
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM
First986NJ
Racer

I moved it around a bit after I got it unbolted to see how I might be able to work it without removing that intake. No way it was going anywhere. I just didn't like the idea of taking that intake off. Too many things that could go wrong. Took the chicken way out.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I finished installation of the exhaust last night and let the car back down to finish the EVO install. I carefully considered all three methods of removal of the stock air box that I was made aware of.

After a cold beer and discussing the merits and pitfalls of the various methods of air box removal with my helper/daughter we arrived at the most attractive conclusion......

I BUSTED THE SUCKER UP AND TOOK IT OUT PIECE BY PIECE.

Stop laughing hysterically Doc......
I did the same thing a few years ago, took it out in pieces. What kind of filter are they coming with now? mine came with an AFE and caused multiple MAF issues until I changed it to K/N and that seems to have cured it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by AAH986
I did the same thing a few years ago, took it out in pieces. What kind of filter are they coming with now? mine came with an AFE and caused multiple MAF issues until I changed it to K/N and that seems to have cured it.
I think it is still an AFE. Oiled very lightly. So far no issues, but only a couple of fairly short hops taken.

Quick Reply: EVO install / stock air box removal