Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 09:21 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lighting

I'm finding that's it pretty easy for me to overdrive my headlights. Therefore, I am considering getting Xenon's installed. The dealer quoted me $2600 for parts and labor. Is there a less expensive way to get the same or similar result?

Comments? Suggestions?

/m
Old 09-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, that seems a little steep. I just got the litronic lights with all the necessary hardware to install them on my car from Suncoast and the cost of parts was $1150. See their web site: No way installation of them should be as much as the difference they quoted you. The installation instructions are on Pelican Parts, here is the link: installation
I suggest you order them mail order if your local dealer will not match this price and put them in yourself or get another shop to do it. You will save $$$. <a href="http://www.e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=P" target="_blank">SunCoast</a><a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_litronic/litronic_pg1a.htm" target="_blank">installat ion</a>
Old 09-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Or maybe drive within the speed limit or at a safe speed at night.... just a thought...

I don't know of any DE events held at night.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Actually, I whipped out the calculator and this is pretty silly....

5280 feet = 1 mile
100 miles = 528,000 feet.
528,000 / 60 = 8,800 feet per minute
8800 / 60 = 146.6 feet/second

Headlights project beyond 150 feet, in fact the dimming of brights is supposed to be done at 300-500 feet depending on the state. But let's assume your lights project only 150 feet.

You'd have 1 second at 100 mph to react, which is actually a fair amount of time in "reaction" terms. In reality you probably have more time unless you are driving over 100 mph at night consistently. In which case I don't know that Litronics are going to help you as something is bound to happen to you sooner or later.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:27 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting insight Ken. I guess I don't need Litronic's after all. Seeing as how I bought the Porsche so I could drive it *exactly* like I drive my Accord.

Of course technically you are correct (I guess, I didn't actually check your math). Except one minor flaw. Lights only project in a straight line. And as far as I have seen Halogen's have a narrower light stream (is that the correct terminology?) than do Litronic's. However, I've never actually driven a car with Litronic's so that is just and assumption. So on the twisties Litronic's are going to provide a better view of the road.

But maybe I'm wrong. If Litronic's aren't going to help me that much, if at all then I certainly have other things I could spend the money on.

/m
Old 09-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Did your Accord have Halogens or Xenons?

I have Litronics on my car and like them, wouldn't trade them, but I think I could just as easily outdrive either the halogen or Xenon at night if I was going fast enough.

Of course lights point straight out and if you are throwing yourself into curves at high speed at night or worried about spotting things to the left/right then having a wider field of view would be better, I'm just not certain that the halogen width is any better than the litronic width.

Oh and Lasik surgery might help with the night vision...
Old 09-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I too love the bright whiter light spectrum of the lentronics. What you need however for high speed driving at night is high power pencil beam aux lights. I have seen some that use the zenon technology. Not the fake bulb, but true ballast driven high voltage low amperage systems. Check with some of the off road and dune buggy shops.

Quick Reply: Lighting