Sponsored by:

Boxster S - S02s vs. Kumhos

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 08:20 PM
craigg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Boxster S - S02s vs. Kumhos

I have a recently acquired MY01 Boxster S with about 60,000 km (about 40,000 miles). It has the optional 18" wheels. The previous owner had traded it in on a MY02 996TT and so I grabbed it. It is in excellent shape and still has a bunch of Warranty left.

The S02 tires on the car were technically ok but the rears were worn down to 40% and the fronts turned out to have severe feathering or cupping on the inner part of the tread that sounded like 4X4 knobbies at any speed indicating an alignment problem. I so took the car to Porsche and had everything checked and fixed (needed lower control arms,as it turned out)

I am a previous owner of a 1984 911 Carrera and like to take good care of my cars and don't want to be excessively frugal where it counts. At the same time, I had some doubts about replacing the S02s with another set - and had had some similar issues with the same model (but different size) on my 911. The very soft compound seems to be very sensitive to alignment and also to "certain" types of driving. I don't track the car - at least not yet.

S02s received universal high regard (tirerack and local dealers alike)but I felt they weren't the right tire for me or my style of driving (mostly street). I found that although the S02s would stick very well in corners, when they broke loose, they gave little or no warning. I have PSM on the car and have now found it to be the most amazing option I have ever seen. This system really works! As well, given the wear and noise I had been experiencing, it seemed that the S02's softer compound had little forgiveness if the alignment wasn't perfect.

I now have Kumho ECSTA 712 Supras on all 4 wheels. My observations thus far:

-They are definitely more predictable on corners and when getting ready to break loose they will give a little - and this in turn invokes the PSM more gently. This is a good thing.

-Much quieter - in fact, they are very smooth riding tires and I have run them up to "adequate" speeds to ensure the balance is done well and they don't have any shudder.

- I had they chance to run them in the rain and there was no sign of hydroplaning and braking was like in the dry. No ABS was needed.

On the downside:

-They are less sticky than the S02s - but I have chosen this.

- I have some minor guilt about not putting the rated "best" tire on the car. I am working on this by driving the car constantly. ;-)

All in all, though, I am very happy with my choice and thought I would share the experience. If the tires demonstrate the longer wearing properties that are claimed for them, then I will consider it a fair trade off.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:02 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

See the Kuhmo vs. SO3 (not SO2) report on my website in the Pictorials section. I had issues with the Kuhmos that lead to them being replaced with SO3's, my experiences on my website, as always YMMV.

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster/" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/boxster/</a>
Old 10-21-2002, 11:39 PM
craigg
Instructor

Interesting experience. And I like the highlight stitching on the seats. Goes well with the Yellow. Mine is Arctic Silver with a Blue top and interior. After a red 911, I was trying to tone it down a bit.

I have not really noticed any noticible flatspotting yet - although I did get a bit of that with the S02s on my 911 (they were on 16", not 18"). I will likely be able to see more of it with the colder weather.

A major point for me was the price difference: over $1000 (Canadian DOllars, but still twice the price) MORE to move to the S02s or S03s (basically the same price for either). The performance difference was not twice the price - and coming off a set of S02s that were in questionable shape for their age made me think twice. There are simply no deals to be had on the Bridgestones and the other tires that I had considered (Toyo, Yokos, Dunlops) had spotty reviews and in some cases the local tires guys were REAL negative about some brands. Hopefully the S03s will give you better service.

As I had said, the PSM reaction was far more noticible when the S02's broke loose than the Kumhos - so far. This is becoming my gage for how far I can push things. A lot different than the 911 whose handling was classic Porsche (accelerate IN THE TURN!)

And, so to each their own...

Quick Reply: Boxster S - S02s vs. Kumhos