Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS repair when out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
kjtar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS repair when out of warranty?

How much does the RMS repair (now hopefully a one-time affair) cost at a dealership or independent when the car is out of warranty?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would never recomend a rms repair on a stick car unless the trans was alreary out for a clutch.
but expect 200-300 in parts and 8-12 hours labor
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

I also would not replace the RMS unless I was doing clutch work or had the trans out for some other reason.

A few drops of oil is no problem. This is not a big deal. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
i would never recomend a rms repair on a stick car unless the trans was alreary out for a clutch.
but expect 200-300 in parts and 8-12 hours labor
Brad - The seal can't cost more than $10. What parts are you quoting? BTW one of my son's friends works at a Porsche Dealership, and because he has changed so many seals, he told me that he can complete an RMS job in about two hours. Nevertheless, the labor charge is 8 hours regardless of the actual time spent by the technician.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the seal is about 60$ the bolts are about about 50$ the ims support is about 180 and thats with no oil
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the ims support is about 180
What does this mean?????
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
Brad - The seal can't cost more than $10. What parts are you quoting? BTW one of my son's friends works at a Porsche Dealership, and because he has changed so many seals, he told me that he can complete an RMS job in about two hours. Nevertheless, the labor charge is 8 hours regardless of the actual time spent by the technician.
Looked at any porsche parts lately? You cant get anything for 10 bucks. Also the job includes replacing more than just the seal. You should be paying for the rear main seal, the intermediate shaft support flange, 4 case half screws, 3 intermediate shaft support flange screws, 1 drain plug crush washer, 2 chain tensioner crush washers, exhaust gaskets, clamps and hardware and 9 quarts of Mobil 1.

And a side little nitpick... someone who is doing it in two hours isn't doing it right... or at least isn't doing it by the book and the latest procedure.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTEC
Looked at any porsche parts lately? You cant get anything for 10 bucks. Also the job includes replacing more than just the seal. You should be paying for the rear main seal, the intermediate shaft support flange, 4 case half screws, 3 intermediate shaft support flange screws, 1 drain plug crush washer, 2 chain tensioner crush washers, exhaust gaskets, clamps and hardware and 9 quarts of Mobil 1.

And a side little nitpick... someone who is doing it in two hours isn't doing it right... or at least isn't doing it by the book and the latest procedure.
99.9% of the effort is getting to the seal. As explained to me by my son's friend, with the new seal there's a guide that ensures proper placement of the seal. Since he also told me that he's never had anyone return with a RMS leak when the new seal is used, chances are he's doing something right.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

There is a guide to insure that concentric tolerances of the case are met where the seal is. Some engines were replaced because of this non-concemtric problem which no new seal could correct.

The biggest cost is labor...trasmission must be remmoved and replaced. It could be done in two hours, but that would be humping. Around here that would be $160-$200 labor. Parts are about $100.

But again a few drops of oil would no warrant this repair until clutch needs replacing...IMO.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

with the old seal there was a guide. and sometimes the new seals leak too. but there are more parts then the 60$ seal in the job
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
fast1
Race Car

The biggest cost is labor...trasmission must be remmoved and replaced. It could be done in two hours, but that would be humping. Around here that would be $160-$200 labor. Parts are about $100.

But the shop gets 8 hrs regardless of the time it takes the tech to do the job. Again just passing on what the tech told me. I certainly wasn't at his side when he did the job, but I see no reason why he would lie to me.

As far as the price of the seal being $60, all I can say is wow! But as was posted earlier it is a Porsche part, and nothing Porsche makes is cheap.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Yes, dealerships work on flat rates. That is how many techs make pretty good money. I know an Audi tech thet loves some recalls 'cause it takes him 2hrs. to get paid for a 9hr. job.

If you are a good wrench with good visual concepts, you can do well. You don't have to follow the manual. That is why a suspension replacement is about 11 hours book time and a good tech can do it in 4 and 1/2.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:20 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

I can about assure you doing a 9 hour recall in 2 hours on an audi is about impossible.
I can alos assure you that anymore even with porsche theres not that many jobs that pay much more then they take even if you are a good tech
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Tierce
Pro

Originally Posted by dennis a from pa
Yes, dealerships work on flat rates. That is how many techs make pretty good money. I know an Audi tech thet loves some recalls 'cause it takes him 2hrs. to get paid for a 9hr. job.

If you are a good wrench with good visual concepts, you can do well. You don't have to follow the manual. That is why a suspension replacement is about 11 hours book time and a good tech can do it in 4 and 1/2.

This is true. I worked as a service advisor for Lexus for 3 years. The techs had to be fast in order to make good money. If the book says it takes 8 hours and the tech can get it done in less than 2, he can make a lot of money.

I had a tech at Lexus that could change a RMS in 54 minutes. I actually timed him one day and it's true. The book says to remove the transmission, but truthfully, he can just slide it back about 6 inches and have enough space to do the job. There are ways to cheat the book on almost anything.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:59 AM
fast1
Race Car

I had a tech at Lexus that could change a RMS in 54 minutes. I actually timed him one day and it's true. The book says to remove the transmission, but truthfully, he can just slide it back about 6 inches and have enough space to do the job. There are ways to cheat the book on almost anything.

As long as the repair was done correctly, I don't consider a shortcut to be cheating. It's what separtes the new techs from the veterans.

Quick Reply: RMS repair when out of warranty?