Sponsored by:

Crunching Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunching Sound

I get this sound every once and a while. I can't duplicate it on cue. But, it definitely is there. This is on a 2000 S. Every once and a while, when I pull to a stop, like in a parking space, but then do a short back up to fix the positioning, and then pull forward again, I get this crunching or scraping sound, like I scraped the curb or ran over something - BUT I DIDN'T. Nothing remotely close to the car any time. Sound seems to come from the right rear.

Is there anything back there that can be loose and shift sometimes from backing up and then hit something else?

My wife heard it this time too, proving I wasn't crazy or hitting anything. Ok, maybe not proving I'm not crazy.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the rear brake binding (on) and you're hearing the friction of the pads on the rotor.

Have you checked your pads recently to see how worn they are, and if one side is more worn than the other at the rear?

Also, Boxsters have an issue where the rotors rust out from the inside if used infrequently - so worth jacking the car and removing the wheel to look inside of the rotors at the rear to see how they look.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it make more sound when you do slow turn?
check lower control arm. park your car, and push it down, the same way you check you suspension, if you can duplicate the sound. you need a new lower control arm. $300 part + 1 hr labor.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the motor mount as well.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by pl
does it make more sound when you do slow turn?
check lower control arm. park your car, and push it down, the same way you check you suspension, if you can duplicate the sound. you need a new lower control arm. $300 part + 1 hr labor.
Nope. Only that one instance after a parking stop, back up and go forward again. I've never heard it in another situation. And it goes away and doesn't necessarily happen again right there.

I received some other suggestions: a rock in the caliper, the backing plate to the disk, and e-brake.

I'm thinking motor mount is the best guess. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Tierce
Pro

The motor mount should have other symptoms if it is bad. Are you getting any increased vibrations in the car?

Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Motor mount doesn't make sense to me, I'm with the stone in the caliper theory (from experience)
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

A rock in the caliper is always going to make noise, or at least any time the wheels are moving. When changing directions suddenly the motor could move and make contact with the body. The motor mount can be completely shot on these cars and they will idle smooth as the day they rolled off the showroom floor.

His noise could be anything but my suggestion is just that.... a suggestion based upon experience and a part that is known to fail. All I'm saying is to do is look at it, its not like I'm telling him to throw parts at it.

Quick Reply: Crunching Sound