Sponsored by:

Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:56 PM
morgrmac
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Calipers

The clear coat is coming off all 4 brake calipers of my 2003 Boxster S. At first the dealer balked at paying for the fix saying that I was using some sort of chemical on the wheels. When I showed them the spec of the wheel cleaner I use (Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner) that is certified by BBS they got real quiet.

Their offer at this point is to (at no cost to me) strip the remaining clear coat off, buff the original red powder coat leaving a satin finish. I think they have spoken to the regional Porsche rep, but I don't know what his response on this is. I see a few others on Rennlist have either had the dealer fix this problem or done it themselves.

Thoughts on going without clear coat? Will the red coloring deteriorate or fade without the clear coat? All Porsche calipers are clear coated so I assume it is the right thing to do. The dealer seems hot for the non-clear coat approach so they don't see me back there again with the same problem.

Any hep is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I'm not sure if the color will fade without the clear coat, but it definitely looks more dull without the clear coat.

I bought a couple cans of high-temp clear coat and I'll be attempting a quickie fix on mine by respraying the clear. If it's still dull, I can always paint and clear and be back to a like-new finish.

I really doubt the calipers will look proper without the clear coat, regardless of how much buffing they do.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I would re-paint them the same way many others do. Buy the porsche sitckers on ebay for a few bucks. Clean them, use the VHT High temp caliper paint, two coates. Put on the stickers then use the clear on top of that. Many people dont use clear and say it looks amazing without it. Forget the dealer, you can fix it yourself in an afternoon and it's fun to work on your car. If your leary about working on your car, somthing like this is basically impossible to screw up. You could paint the whole caliper, pad and rotor red and it would still work lol.. Would contaminate the pad but in reality you wouldn't do that anyway. So this is a good way to get your feet wet messin with stuff where you cant hurt anything.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did one today. Used Black Gloss powder coat paint. 2 coats with light sanding in between, the a clear gloss over the sticker. Not hard to do at all but stripping the old paint took a while. And i have a bead blaster. I think i will use aircraft stripper next.
Attached Images   

Last edited by seafeye; 02-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake dust and wheel cleaner & perhpas brake fluid on bare factory paint......don't do it.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers