Sponsored by:

plastic window was smashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 AM
BoxsterTim
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic window was smashed

I tried searching and didnt come up with much besides people that have switched to glass windows.

When I opened the top thismorning it made a funny noise just before it was all the way open, like it was smashing somthing plastic. I opened it and now there are 2 nasty looking dents/impressions in the plastic window. They are in exactly the same spot on the far left and right exactly in the center.

I assume it just didnt fold proporly when it was opening?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:22 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by BoxsterTim
I assume it just didnt fold proporly when it was opening?
It was probably the opposite;you didn't "chop the top" when you went to put the top down,now my bet is that it's been down for awhile making the indentations look permanent,no worries they come out in time if you leave the top up.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try to leave it in the hot sun for a while. Or run a hot hair dryer (drier?) over them for a bit (careful not to burn/melt the plastic!). It should smooth out.

And yeah, unless my Boxster has bee sitting out in the warm sun (or the temps are nice and warm), I tend to stop the top half way, get out and give it a "chop" to make sure its folding correctly, then finish putting the top down.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't use hair dryer if you not sure what u doing.
just leave it up long enough they will go away.
remember don't operate the top (up or down) when below 50f degree.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

has the window plastic cracked?

If it's cold enough, the plastic can be brittle enough to crack along the center as it folds into the storage position.

If the window is damaged, you can replace the plastic only at a good upholstery store, where they can sew in a new plastic piece.

The dealership will normally only replace the full hood, and not just the window only - and that's expensive!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:53 AM
BoxsterTim
8th Gear

A friend of mine looked at it and said that its been replaced already and its a lot thicker than the factory one so thats why it just has this large crease instead of cracking like the factory one would do. This explains why its so clear for being a 2001 car.

Whats this "chop the top" or "chop" that you speak of?

Since this happened over the weekend it has sort of worn off so im not even worried about it anymore.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Chopping" is just that, with the top part way down, you get out of your car and manually (as in, with your hand) help fold the plastic window in the right direction to prevent it from cracking. Once you do it, you'll know why it's referred to as "chopping" (..the action is like a Karate chop, although you don't actually Karate chop the window..).

FWIW my '01 Boxster (purchased late summer '06) has a perfectly clear window.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 AM
BoxsterTim
8th Gear

yeah, today I was opening it and when it was halfway i started to hear the creaking of the plastic so I stopped it and got out and looked at it and saw that the plastic dosent fold in the same spots as the cloth top and thats what makes the creases so I just straightened it, no karate chop but I see what you guys are saying.

But man do I love this car more and more everyday. It was cloudy and overcast and looked like it was going to rain today....I still had the top down, heater blastin, headed seats goin, and that 6 disc crakned up....I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

But man do I love this car more and more everyday. It was cloudy and overcast and looked like it was going to rain today....I still had the top down, heater blastin, headed seats goin, and that 6 disc crakned up....I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahaha,I do the same to. I don't care if it's 40 and overcast,I will drive it town down till it rains. I have 2 sets of beanie and scarfs in the storage compartment for when I do drive around in cold weather.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 AM
lolayay
Intermediate

I had some little creases in my plastic window for a while. And I finally cracked it. Yay~ The upholstery store person said I shouldn't put the top down under 60F. It was 40F that morning, ah...

Anyhow, I am getting a new GAHH installed as my new year's present to myself. Yay~~~ Hope it turns out great.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

"remember don't operate the top (up or down) when below 50f degrees."

I don't even chance 60 degrees F!!! Plus the completely stupid previous owners didn't buy the heated seats option...so less than 60 is COLD!!!!

Hey and for the choppers...if you don't have it already get a long pillow. Looks like a long tube (think fun-noodles in the pool) but smaller and its a nice soft pillow. Really reduces the chances of a crease!

Melissa
Old 01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Hahahahaha,I do the same to. I don't care if it's 40 and overcast,I will drive it town down till it rains. I have 2 sets of beanie and scarfs in the storage compartment for when I do drive around in cold weather.
fyi,
you should drive with top down when rainning.
if you are fast enough (>30 mph), you won't get any water. and it feels great and not to mention drive with top down when it's snowing.......
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
you should drive with top down when rainning.
if you are fast enough (>30 mph), you won't get any water. and it feels great...
Yeah, but everything behind you get soaked. I got cought in a rain shower once. ...ONCE
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 AM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Yeah, but everything behind you get soaked. I got cought in a rain shower once. ...ONCE
put your window up, then you should be fine.

Quick Reply: plastic window was smashed