Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

'99 Boxster w/new fact. motor-opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 03:01 AM
Domenico
Track Day

Thumbs up '99 Boxster w/new fact. motor-opinions

Made a deal on a Blk w/red int. Boxster w/new Porsche motor #986100920BX. Full leather, oem aero kit, 19" S wheels. Excellent cosmetics. Car has 43k on it. new motor has 2k on it. I'm paying $20k so I figure not a bad deal w/new motor and all. Eventually plan on racing in boxster cup with it once I get the "goods" together. I assume the new motor won't have the RMS issues and blow up potential since it already happened on old unit. Any experiences w/new motor install? I plan on installing race sets(recommendations?) and PSS9's to start. I'm curious as to if anyone else plans to eventually go racing with their 97-99's. All opinions and comments welcomed.

Grazie.
Old 12-20-2006 | 10:54 AM
jwilson95
Racer

Let's see some pics....
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:27 AM
Domenico
Track Day

I'll post more asap. BTW, also, xenons w/techart lens covers, sport exhaust, red calipers, 3 spoke wheel, white gauges, carbon fiber door sills, alum trim.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:30 AM
Domenico
Track Day

better photos...
Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:37 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I have been thinking of building a PCA F-Class boxster. I am not sure which Boxster Cup you are talking about. Is is a Spec type series. Are the Spec rules limited to PSS9 Suspension.

Did you buy the engine seperate or was it part of the deal. I am interested in the cost of a new motor.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:46 AM
Domenico
Track Day

Boxster Cup spec series. It will be new to me and I'm just getting all the info needed after I pick up the car. I'm looking forward to getting it on a track first. I've been to boxsterspecracing.org and boxcar-racing.com. I also plan to go to skip barber in the spring/summer 07.
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:31 PM
gfl
Racer

Originally Posted by Domenico
I assume the new motor won't have the RMS issues and blow up potential since it already happened on old unit. Any experiences w/new motor install? Grazie.
Why do you think the new motor wont have RMS issues? Its just another motor with the same probabilities of failure as any other.

I have heard the new ones are actually slightly better, but who knows. Thay have not been able to fix RMS in all these years - and it must be costing them plenty.

Grant
Old 12-20-2006 | 02:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the new rms seals have been really really good
Old 12-20-2006 | 02:43 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Domenico, nice looking car!!!

What kind of warranty does the new motor come with??
The brake calipers, are they painted originals or after market???
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:35 PM
gfl
Racer

Default Fortunately, I dont really know, but

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the new rms seals have been really really good
...plenty of people are reporting repeat leaks after the new seals are installed.

Grant
Old 12-20-2006 | 09:55 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

not necessaryaly rms leaks, there are other leak points often misdaignosed zas rms leaks
Old 12-21-2006 | 11:06 AM
Domenico
Track Day

Smile

Thanks guys, the motor comes w/1 yr warranty and was installed by Pat Williams racing in Tenn. Calipers are original painted red option.
In regards to motor I may be assuming too much that Porsche addressed to catastrophic failure issue with the new replacement unit? I hope so. I am looking forward to a rear drive car coming from JCW Mini Cab S. Gotta let the tail hang out once in a while....
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:13 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Porsche addressed the porus block issues of the earlier engines, and the slipping cylinder lining issues of the earlier engines, so these issues should not present themselves on a replacement block. Both of these were catastophic failure events, and have been well documented on early cars.

The on-going RMS issue is NOT a catastrophic failure issue, it's just been treated as an engine swap criteria by Porsche at times, in order to avoid bad press.

You can live with RMS leak, probably indefinitely, as long as you watch your oil level.

Supposed clutch contamination by an RMS seems rare to the point of being extremely unlikely.

From personal experience with two Boxsters, both of which had replacement engines, I had no further issues, and was very happy.

Of course, that's not statistically significant, but it's my personal take on having the replacement blocks installed.

You'll enjoy the change from MCS to 986, the acceleration is more linear, and just keeps on going and going and going!

986 is still not as much fun on the twisties though - MCS was hard to beat for permagrin on the mountain roads!

Gone but not forgotten
Old 12-21-2006 | 03:59 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

nice looking car!

I would remove the headlight "extra" treatment.... but to each his own.

Last edited by MikeBat; 01-12-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2006 | 12:25 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a lot of car for $20k...well done.

I had a '99 that had a motor replaced. I sold it shortly after (which was dumb ). The next owner enjoyed it for a year then sold it to a gent in Utah or something. Last report was the car is doing well and being thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think you have to worry about your car.

If you get involved in the Boxster Spec racing, post more here...I'd love to read about it!

Quick Reply: '99 Boxster w/new fact. motor-opinions