Sponsored by:

MP3/Ipod hookup to CDR-220

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 PM
StevePDX
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3/Ipod hookup to CDR-220

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the CDR-220 CD head unit with the sound upgrade and no changer. I'd like to know if its possible to hookup an MP3 player or Ipod in place of the factory cd changer. Specifically are there RCA plugs in the front trunk near where a changer would go that can be used? I 'm only interested in connecting the MP3/Ipod and having the factory stereo recognize it. I don't need charging ability and would like to avoid cutting up my car. Has anyone done this? What are the steps (pics if available)? Is it possible to do without professional installation? Thanks for any advice
Old 12-16-2006, 04:49 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

you need to order the aux in cable from Becker (their kit comes with the cables, directions to turn on the aux, and the keys to pull the head unit out

then you'll want to tap the phone power cable that's hidden under the console for switched or unswitched 12v

and you probably want a ground loop isolator in between

there's great write-ups on renntech, I put my sirius s50 in just following the advice there (took me 2 hours but that was mostly spent running and placing the antenna, which you won't need with an ipod)
Old 12-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I made my ipod hookup with less than a dollar worth of butt connectors from Radio Shack.

Some time on Google will find you the pinout of the CDR-220, just take two pieces of 20 gauge wire with butt connectors on the end and wire them up to the pins (IIRC it's 8&9, but don't quote me on that).
Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
StevePDX
6th Gear

Thanks! If I understand correctly, Becker gives you head unit removal keys, and an aux-in to RCA cable that just plugs in to the back of the head unit then you just need an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor (Radio Shack) to plug into the MP3 player and to choose a place to have the cable come out. It sounds like I won't need to add power unless I want to charge the ipod - is that right? Would avoiding hardwired power eliminate the need for a ground loop isolator?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

yup, you won't need power unless you want to charge it, I don't know about the ground loop isolator but that sounds logical that you wouldn't need it either
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
joesmoe
Instructor

Just to bring this topic back up ... I've done the install of my ipod by replacing the cd changer plug from becker. Unless i have a cd in my cd changer (6 pack) the unit will not stay in cd mode so I can't hear my ipod.
Did i miss a step in disconnecting the CD changer?

Any help plz ...
Old 03-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Schnell!
Track Day

Did you enable AUX mode? Mine was disabled. I think I pressed TP until it displayed Becker, then rolled the right **** until it said AUX, and I pressed the little button with the up arrow next to it. That enabled it.

I used a cable from www.discountcarstereo.com that plugged into the back of my CDR-220. It includes a provision for wiring in power to charge the iPOD.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
GusLight-Rennsport
Advanced

Schnell, which cable did you use from discoundcarstereo.com?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about gettig a small FM transmitter for your MP3 player and the in car FM radio?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Monster brand FM transmitter and it works very well. Charges the Ipod and lets you select any station to broadcast to. I tried several different models, all of which had static, until I found this one. Plus, you can move it from car to car.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:48 PM
powderhound
Intermediate

If you have the RCA jacks in the front truck it' easy to do. Get a good RCA to IPOD speaker cable at Radio Shack. Connect the RCA end to RCA that would hook up at cd changer, run other end back thru the hole the RCAs came out of. Next you will have to remove your battery. Make sure you have your radio code. Behind the battery on the drivers side is a rubber gromet covering a hole in fire wall. Cut a small X in the center, you can leave it in place. then, with a small sharp object, push thru the sound deadening material. You can now push the cable thru the fire wall. Go inside car and find cable next to gas pedal and route to passanger side. I tucked it under carpet next to center consoul and you should have enough play to use IPOD and store it in consoul. Remember to check routing and make sure it doesn't get in the way of critical areas. Replace battery and turn radio to Aux and your in. I still carry my FM modualtor to charge IPOD when nessesary.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll resurrect this old thread again to add/correct something that is pervasive among the "I want to add my ipod, but I have a CD changer" threads. Thanks to this thread I went and looked at discountcarstereos.com, and they have a great selection of stuff. Among them is PIE SON-AUX device which alllows switchless switching between two sets of rca inputs. Basically, as long as you have a cd in the changer, you don't have ti switch on the AUX in the Becker. As soon as you start playing music onthe ipod, it senses the current and switches the source into the Becker to be from the ipod instead of the changer. Turn off or unplug the ipod and within 10 seconds, it automatically switches to the cd's in the changer. In my case, since I mainly use CD's and only the ipod occasionally, this is perfect. I have the Griffin iflex gooseneck for the nano (they make different ones for different ipods..much better quality than the Belkin stuff), which has the mini jack from the ipod plug (with switchable levels) instead of the headphone jack. I put a pemanent female jack in the plastic of one of the storage bins for a neta install.

Quick Reply: MP3/Ipod hookup to CDR-220