Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No, my ignition (key) appears to have gone Kaput !

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh No, my ignition (key) appears to have gone Kaput !

I think I am now screwed.... : (

Yesterday as I was prep'n to change the oil in my 2000 boxster, I drove it around for a while and upon returning to the garage I went to turn the key to the right (counter clockwise) and remove it. It turned about half of the distance it normanlly turns and then it got stuck. I was able to turn it back to the right and the car started but I tried several times to turn counter clockwise (to the left) and it would not budge. Stupid me got a little forcefull with it and wiggled as I turned it counter. I also jiggled on the steering wheel, thinking maybe the lock had engaged.(it was not) So I was able to 'force' the key all the way counter clockwise and remove it. It made a sound when I did this, that scared me.(sounded like something snapped). I sprayed some wd40 in the key hole and then put the key back in and went clockwise and counter a few times. It now appears the movement is much stiffer than originally was. Car starts fine and all, but then this morning I noticed the headlights don't come on. I have to check the fuse, I did not check it this morning because I was in a hurry to get to work and just jumped into my beater car. But I don't think it is a fuse, i think the electronics on the end of the tumbler are broken.

Have any of you replaced your own ignition ? Is it difficult, or maybe I should ask if it is do able for the average shade tree mechanic ? If you went to the Stealership, what did you pay for the work.

Guess for now, i have to drive it daylight only !

Tom
Columbus, Ohio
2000 guards red 986
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its just the switch its not to bad to replace 2 lil screws and about 20$ for the part, cant get the part from porsche though you have to use the audi part.
The whole lock is about 170$ and a little more involved and about 3 hours labor at the dealer.
if you start the car turn on the headlights you can usualy wiggle the ign switch till the headlights come on
Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

So does the switch just mount on the back of the igniton key tumbler ? Can you access it from under the dash or is it more involved ? BTW, do you know the Audi part # ? When I turn the key, it does not move smoothly so I am wondering if something "gave" when I forced it. Not sure if that would be an electronic part or a hard part in the tumbler that bound.

I'll try the key wiggle idea after work.

Thanks.
Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 11:28 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Amazing what the search function will do. (Duhh)
Audi switch # 4A0 905 849 B*

Still have a question though.
Should I replace the whole lock and switch mechanism or just the electrical switch ? After reading the 996 forum, some posts suggests there is a revised lock mechanism now available and that replacing just the electrical is a temporary fix. Part two of the question is if I replace the whole lock assembly, will I get a new key ? What about the door and arm rest ?

I want to go the proper route. What's

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

I no lo ger replace just the elctrical portion i have had to many comeback time and time again so now I only chnage the whole lock assy
the lock assy comes with a new elctrical portion and the mechanical portion.
you reuse the ign cyliner itself so your original key works fine
Old 11-06-2006, 07:21 PM
85percent
Instructor

same thing happened to my boxster. my key feels stiff now in the ignition. everything is fine with mine, you just have to turn the key back one click counter-clockwise when the car is on, and that will trigger your headlights to work.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
rsfeller
Track Day

If he is having electric issues then yes it is the switch, but how does the switch prevent the key from coming out? I don't know if I agree with the switch theory 100% unless someone can explain how it "grabs" the key. If it just prevents the tumbler from turning all the way to the left then just force it left to get it out and then replace the switch.

I was told that the tumbler to a lesser degree then the switch can fail. The switch failure is usually associated with electrical issues such as head lights, fan, stereo ect....these switches have been failing on Vw, Audi and Porches like this for decades. I know becuase I"ve replaced them back to early 80s Vanagons.

If it is the switch it is tricky to get out unless you are under 200lbs and really study the PET well.

I live in Ohio and i tried to get MAG (Columbus Ohio Porsche Stealer) to swing over and replace one a block away in my wifes car since I live an hour away. They said it wasn't a "parking lot fix" even knowing I was willing to pay them for their time and more. He told me it was a 2+ hr job which I stated I did in 10 minutes, which I did. The worst part was putting the AC duct back in under the steering wheel!

Anyways if you need any help send me an email to carboncow@gmail.com. PLus I got the Durametric software if you ever need to pull codes. I work in Mansfield.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

The switch wont turn off so the key wont come out, you cant pull the key out of a car with the key on

Its not really a 10 minute deal trhough porsche as porsche no longer even sells the switch you have to replace the ign lock itself not quite a 10 minute job
Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 AM
rsfeller
Track Day

I always read that the switch just falls apart inside, so I figured it would just "crunk up" if he gives it a good turn. I'm sure with some finese it will go.

firehawk, yes and no on the parts in our area. it never was a 10 minute job for Porsche as heard the book wanted to do it the painful way. MAG in columbus still stocks and installs the ignition switch only...and it can be done in 10 minutes if you now what to go for, hell they may do it the same way in 10 minutes...but they charge 2+ hours...

...like I said the tough part was getting the duct back in correctly!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

porsche part is no longer available, they are seeling the audi part, same thing but theres a reason porsche stopped selling them
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the offer rsfeller. After reading about it, I think the switch will be fairly painless job. (now installing my evo intake was a choir !)

Yesterday I ordered two of the audi switches from Pellicanparts and got 2 day shipping, all for price of one switch from Byers Imports, which is another local Stealership in Columbus. Amazing the markup for the same part.

This weekend I plan to do the switch replacement. I've been under the dash before for other things, iIt's tight but I am not a big guy so not a big deal. If this switch lasts another 6 years, then I'll dig out the spare one and go another 6. (Why I ordered 2!) hehehe

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently, there are several companies making the ignition switch.

Let me know the brand when you get it from Pelican.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Quick update.
Got my two ignition switches from Pellican ! (yeah) Took me about 15 minutes to do the install, was rather easy, just in a cramped position. Ignition now operates as smooth as can be. What a cheep fix, 10 bucks for the switch.

the part I got was a eb bilstein zuendschalter ignition switch for vw/audi. says made in china on the box ! (go figure...)

Tom
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know how that switch holds out over time.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...10690&hl=China

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...10267&hl=China

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...=9406&hl=China
Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Go figure.

I may have to go ahead and install a toggle switch and push button start ! haha (I have full coverage insurance anyway)

Tom

Quick Reply: Oh No, my ignition (key) appears to have gone Kaput !