Sponsored by:

HELP!!! MY TOP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! MY TOP!

I have had no top problems on my 2000 boxster... until the other day. It went all the way up ( the top) and the lid closed, but never locked. it made a funny clicking sound and motor kept running after it usually would have turned off. the dash light never turned off at all. I thought it may have been those red ball end things I read about so I ripped off the metal lid to investigate ( a chore on its own when the top won't work and i didn't read the manual on how to manually run the top. THe passenger side motor lifts the lid fine, but the Drivers side does nothing. the red ball seems to be intact, but the motor doesn't do anything. Do you think the drivers side motor went out? is that likely? and if so, can I fix it mself, ir is it pretty messy? I thought if it was the red thing broken, the motor would still run, but just not move the parts?

Also, is it necessary to replace those red things with the metal ones since I have it torn apart anyway?

Any help wouold be GREATLY appreciated. I really don't want to take it into the shop, just had a clutch AND water pump done... I want to stay away from the money hole of a dealership if at all possible.

THANKS!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well its sounds like a cable broke theres no motor on either side the motors in the middle aznd the transmissions are on the sides. if you have the old stytle tranmsissions it also may have over run the moon gear and destoryd it you need to take it apart to check and re time it.
There are no metal ends that i know of and the red ends only break when something else stops working
Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 PM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I get to the cables? Is this a job I can figure out, or do you think I need to take it in. I like trying to fix stuff myslf, but don't wanna screw anything else up.

Is there a diagram or pictures of the setup?

THANKS!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:55 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well if you have the clam sheel open. un do the 2 steel cables at the back of the top and fold it up
then youll see the motors and the opeating arms
you will need to remove the operating arms to get to the trasnmsions but you can pull the cables and see if they are broke at the motor

Quick Reply: HELP!!! MY TOP!