rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speakers

Hi All!

I am wondering if anyone has installed rear speakers in their Boxster anywhere unique/practical? I have done the speaker in the rear storage compartment thing (Porsche's idea, not mine) and I personally think it's worthless, since the speakers are BEHIND the seat, behind the hard plastic back of the seat.

Has anyone custom installed rear speakers anywhere else with good luck? I have the technical know-how, just want some ideas form others if anyone has done it before.

THANKS!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

The rear speakers help to fill out the cabin. It's not a night-and-day difference, but it it is an improvement.

I went with the PNP kit which I bought from that online auction site. It's a bit more than the Porsche kit, but it includes better drivers and improved instructions.

HTH,

Jim
Old 08-29-2006, 11:29 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pictures - please post pictures...

Also - what is driving the back speakers?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never could figure out a better place to put speakers in the rear. I had custom enclosures for 8" woofers built into the doors. It looks factory to a non-Porsche person. I have 70WPC amp mounted up front with 2 channels powering new dash speakers and 2 channels powering the woofers. It rocks, even with the top down! Here's a pic to give you an idea of what the install looks like:

Cheers
Randy

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/interior_copy1.jpg
Old 08-30-2006, 01:09 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Take your muffler off. Then this becomes a non-problem.

Bro
Old 08-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

I misread the first note. He's already tried the rear shelf.

The M490 audio option has the ability to drive them off the amp in the front trunk. The PNP kit comes with a wiring harness that you put into the existing connector.

Some people upgrade the drivers in the dash and door (Focals are used in the dash), but that's about it, unless you want to yank everything and go with a custom sound system.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 AM
mreric
Advanced

I was thinking of building a deeper spot in the carpeted area behind the armrest, and cut the armrest lid down a bit to give room for a speaker panel there. Seen it in a Ferrari, and it looked good there, but then again ANYTHING would look good in a new Ferrari...

I already ripped out the factory head unit, which did improve the sound, but still not where I'd like it. I really want to be able to hear the rear part of the music. I am just used to the pretty good stereo in my Jag i guess...

Quick Reply: rear speakers