Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 AM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just lookin' at any Pcar is like going out to "just look at" puppies.

The Pcar puppies are just as loveable but way more expensive
Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 AM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

Same boat here. . . Multi-944 owner currently looking to pare down my fleet and insanely huge pile of spare parts and unfinished projects in the garage. Currently looking at an '02 "S" model (among a couple of others). If I get it, I'll actually have a semi-normal looking garage rather than a garage with a half-assembled car in it plus a mountain of spare parts half the time.

Anyway, I've uncovered cylinder liner issues, exploding blocks, failure-prone rear main seals and coolant tank failures as the major things to watch/look out for. Anyone have any others?

Also, if I bought the "S", I'd get the balance of the 4/50,000 manufacturer's warranty but that's only about 4 months before it runs out. Is there any way to purchase an extended service plan or anything through Porsche N.A. to give me some peace of mind or would I be rolling the dice and S.O.L. if the engine decided to grenade itself on January 1, 2007? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Also, if I bought the "S", I'd get the balance of the 4/50,000 manufacturer's warranty but that's only about 4 months before it runs out. Is there any way to purchase an extended service plan or anything through Porsche N.A. to give me some peace of mind or would I be rolling the dice and S.O.L. if the engine decided to grenade itself on January 1, 2007? Thanks in advance.
If warranty is important maybe you be interested in my 02 S? I have a 1 yr + 4mo. left on the original warranty. Mileage is at 22.5K and it's in great shape. Im' thinking about getting a new or different P-car, not sure which one, there are so many to love.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

just wanted to add more support for it's drivability in snow, a set of 17's and Dunlop Wintersport M3's and it works great! it's amazing how well it holds with all the weight back there
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
VROOOM
AutoX

When I bought my 2001 Boxster S last year it had mid-20,000 miles on it. I, too, debated the extended warranty issue. It was an additional $3500-4000, which is greater than 10% of my purchase price. I didn't go for it, but you never know with these things. My advice on warranties - drive to the Porsche dealership where you expect this car to be serviced and ask their advice on a credible warranty company - and make sure they will accept that warranty.

You are smart to be looking at one as the summer is almost over, prices in snow country should be dropping weekly at this point.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I know of two '01 S for sale (both under 22K miles and excellent shape - one black, the other silver).
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J-RAD
I know of two '01 S for sale (both under 22K miles and excellent shape - one black, the other silver).
Speaking of which, where would you look for a good deal on a nice, used Boxster? I have looked a bit at eBay auctions, where these seldom reach Reserve, at cars.com, and at Luxurymotors.com, which just happens to be about 3 miles from my house. Anywhere else I should be looking to get good idea of market prices and possible seductresses?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:40 AM
J-RAD
Racer

cars.com will give you a good idea of what the market is asking. Of course, you don't know what they're actually selling for. If you know someone with access to Manheim's (auto auction) that can serve as a helpful gauge. When it comes to pricing and such, used Porsche's are not quite the same as yout average used car - lots of considerations.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is your first Porsche, actually not bad for any used Porsche purchased.

Buy a Pre-Certified one from a dealer, you pay a bit more, but the peace of mind knowing if it drops a sleve or half shaft, its covered.

This of course covers only later models, if its an earlier model, at least have a PPI performed so you know what your getting going into the deal.

For pre 2000 MY, educate youself on the known RMI and sudden engine failures that are easily found by performing a search here on r'list

Allways use r'list as a source for the purchase!!!

Nothing is new under the sun and the owners here have seen it all!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbennett
For pre 2000 MY, educate youself on the known RMI and sudden engine failures that are easily found by performing a search here on r'list

Allways use r'list as a source for the purchase!!!

Nothing is new under the sun and the owners here have seen it all!!!
Yes, I've scouted around here, and unfortunately it's convinced me to go for an '05/'06 Boxster, or perhaps something else entirely....
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Yes, I've scouted around here, and unfortunately it's convinced me to go for an '05/'06 Boxster, or perhaps something else entirely....
after poking around the forum, i think i'm convinced to look for something else. i first started out thinking i wanted to get a 356, but i came the conclusion that they simply are not road worthy in this day and age (they don't meet any of the modern safety standards: crumple zones, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc, etc, etc). so, then i thought i would look for a boxster (a cool, covertible porsche). but i am looking for a toy, and this seems like it might be as much hastle as it is fun (i've already gone through more issues than i care to recount with my 993). at this point, i am seriously thinking honda s2000 (which should be fun and worry free)...but it is too bad, because i really like the lines of the boxster.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
just wanted to add more support for it's drivability in snow, a set of 17's and Dunlop Wintersport M3's and it works great! it's amazing how well it holds with all the weight back there
Stumpjumper,

When I checked Tire rack for the M3's, they don't seem to be available in the correct sizes. I need 205/50/17 Fr and 255/40/17 Rear.

Also, anyone else chime in if I can go with different sizes on the 17's. 255's in the rear (that doesn't sound too good ) seems a little wide for winter..no ? For an 2000 S.

TIA

OK, just spoke to Tirerack and they said that the M3's are no longer available in the sizes I need. They did say I could go with a 225/45/17 (8.5 rim) rather then the 255/40. Seems the only tire they have for that fitment is the Pilot Alpin PA2 - $548.00 Fr & R's.

Last edited by Evan; 08-10-2006 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spoke to Tirerack
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Originally Posted by mborkow
at this point, i am seriously thinking honda s2000 (which should be fun and worry free)...but it is too bad, because i really like the lines of the boxster.
You don't think the S2000 has any issues? Every car has some minor problems. You should read the S2K boards as well. The Boxster really is pretty free of any major issues.

And unless you like driving cars like you stole them all the time (meaning with revs WAY up), you may be disappointed with the performance of the S2000. Unless you constantly keep the revs up, you may find that a Corolla is quicker.

I do agree with you on the styling though. The Boxster is a much more classic design. When the S2000 first came out, I thought it looked like a convertible Civic. Now, the Civic has been redesigned but the S2000's design remains the same - and looks a bit dated.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to each their own. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Evan
Stumpjumper,

When I checked Tire rack for the M3's, they don't seem to be available in the correct sizes. I need 205/50/17 Fr and 255/40/17 Rear.

Also, anyone else chime in if I can go with different sizes on the 17's. 255's in the rear (that doesn't sound too good ) seems a little wide for winter..no ? For an 2000 S.

TIA

OK, just spoke to Tirerack and they said that the M3's are no longer available in the sizes I need. They did say I could go with a 225/45/17 (8.5 rim) rather then the 255/40. Seems the only tire they have for that fitment is the Pilot Alpin PA2 - $548.00 Fr & R's.

I got them in November last year with a set of the Mille Miglia 17's and I'm almost positive they're 255/40's in back. They actualy worked out very well, and my other car is an Audi allroad which has had Hakka's and M3's so I've got a good idea what it's like to be good in the snow

If Tirerack says they're gone perhaps they're being replaced, I know you get the best prices now but you will probably have a better selection in the fall, I have no snow time with the PA2's so I can't really comment on them
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

I just looked here and it shows that 255/40 is available, of course it could need updating but perhaps Tirerack just has none in stock yet

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/di...rktarea=Winter

255/40R17 94V BSW 8.5 - 10.0 9.00 10.2 25.0 1,477 @ 51
MSRP* - $260.95

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice