Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

HID Retrofit in Halogen Lights. Info you want to know.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:50 AM
986Jim
Instructor

A typical HID kit runs at 35w and has lumens of 3200-3600 depending on the Kelvin rating of the kit. Anything in the 4300k (oem) to about 6500k are about 3600 lumens. When you get over the 6500k mark into the 8000 and 10000k light they go down to 2100 lumens.

The 35w rating produces way less heat than the stock bulbs, more light and saves power from your alternator vs. a halogen bulb. Those halogen lights are better than whats in your car, however don't hold a candle (no pun intended) to HID's.
Old 03-08-2007 | 12:23 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Ordered the 6500K ... should get it by friday.

Jim ... thanks ...
Old 03-09-2007 | 02:36 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Jim I'm still not sure what panel you are talking about that you drilled a whole into to run the wires,could you load a pic up?

Also how much are the bulbs to replace.

Dammit Jim,why did you have to do this to your Boxster,now you have me wanting to do it. By the way did you ever get ahold of the eBay headers?
Old 03-09-2007 | 09:59 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Jim I'm still not sure what panel you are talking about that you drilled a whole into to run the wires,could you load a pic up?

Also how much are the bulbs to replace.

Dammit Jim,why did you have to do this to your Boxster,now you have me wanting to do it. By the way did you ever get ahold of the eBay headers?
Just the black plastic cap that covers the bulbs up at the back, thats all. Pull out a headlight and pull of the plastic cap to look inside at the bulbs and you will know what im taking about.

Headers are on the way, im going to tig up some sport 200cel cats to the stock muffler. Should make a good HP gain (12hp and 17ft/lbs) but not be too loud cause im gonna keep the stock muffler. We shall see.

I'm also gonna do a lower lip and side skirts to pimp up the stock bumpers. I have been going through the manual and I'm going to take another 200lbs outta the car without losing anything important (ontop of the spare tire). I got 250 outta my talon with nobody noticing so I'm gonna put the boxster on a diet too.

I'm gonna do some cool brakes front and rear, and some other tricks here and there. I'll make tech posts on all these things as I do it.
Old 03-09-2007 | 12:27 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by 986Jim

Headers are on the way, im going to tig up some sport 200cel cats to the stock muffler. Should make a good HP gain (12hp and 17ft/lbs) but not be too loud cause im gonna keep the stock muffler. We shall see.

I'm also gonna do a lower lip and side skirts to pimp up the stock bumpers. I have been going through the manual and I'm going to take another 200lbs outta the car without losing anything important (ontop of the spare tire). I got 250 outta my talon with nobody noticing so I'm gonna put the boxster on a diet too.

I'm gonna do some cool brakes front and rear, and some other tricks here and there. I'll make tech posts on all these things as I do it.
Let me know how the 200cel cat thing works out with CELs etc. I'm thinking about making up a set of main cat pipes like that as well. Need to keep the O2 sensor in the pipe after the cat though, because my headers will eliminate the pre-cats. Anyway, I'm interested in how this one goes.

What lower lip and skirts are you looking at? That's going to be my next winter project I think. Exhaust/intake/Suspension/shifter got done this year....and that's enough for a while...my wallet is sore.
Old 03-23-2007 | 12:29 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

I ordered the 6500K kit today. Thanks for the great write-up and pics! I'll post some as well when I get them installed...
Old 03-23-2007 | 10:30 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Got mine two days ago ... will install on the weekend.

BTW ... the hole is 23 mm and has a grommet to cover it up to maintain the waterproofing ...
Old 03-28-2007 | 10:19 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Got the HID kit installed today (6500k), quite easy, hardest part was finding a place/mounting the ballast and igniter on each side. The 24mm stated hole size for the grommet seemed a little big to me (23mm as the above post states is better), guess I should have made it smaller to begin with. Anyway, it fits OK on one side - just a hair loose for my taste. Got it spot on for the 2nd light though.

Halogen:

HID:

One of each on the carport wall (don't mind the junk)

Finit!

Last edited by dyazdani; 03-28-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2007 | 10:35 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

I installed mine in the Disco ... was easy to do. You might want to add a dab of silicone sealer to keep the grommet in place.
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:28 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
I installed mine in the Disco ... was easy to do. You might want to add a dab of silicone sealer to keep the grommet in place.
Exactly what I was going to recommend to others as well. I'm going to take mine back out tonight and put a dab around there.

The other thing that made it more difficult for me is that the tool kit seems missing in my car, I have to dig some more though before I make a final ruling. Anyway, I built my own out of a ratchet, a 5.5 mm socket (for the headlight end), a 1/4" socket driver adaptor for a cordless drill, and another socket (whatever size fits the drill adapter). Worked like a charm...
Old 03-29-2007 | 06:49 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Nice, glad to see this worked out for others. Soon I'm going to install my new muffler I bought and shortly after that headers and custom mid pipes with 200cel cats I'm makin up. I'll post up articles akin to this one for those projects. After that body mods, gonna do a front lip side skirts and speedster humps.
Old 06-18-2007 | 02:18 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Talking

Bump for Blinkwatt ....

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit in Halogen Lights. Info you want to know.