Sponsored by:

The Dash is on Flash

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
DavidD
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dash is on Flash

My 987 had an amp. clean sweep, and new speakers installed today. When I started the car every trouble light is on and the dash backlighting is flashing. They will be at the dealer with it tomorrow. They think its just a computer reset. They had better be right!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:36 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Did the dealership install the stero equipment? Have you tried disconnecting the battery and waiting one minute? That should reset the CPU.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:11 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope so too, because maybe they just voided your warranty by fitting aftermarket electronics to the car.

There was a Boxster in the UK, had a cellphone fitted, then had electrical issues.

Had to pay four grand for a new wiring harness.

Just FYI

Chris.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:34 AM
DavidD
Cruisin'

Well it is fixed! Installer drilled into a module by mistake. I always thought stereo installation 101 taught "be sure you know what is behind the drill". The dealership I needed to do the repair was booked solid but I begged the tech to work his lunch hour. All fixed and the stereo place paid the $600 invoice.

This stereo shop does a lot of subcontract work for the dealer and I checked with them before having the work done. The "Clean Sweep", Amp and new speakers are amazing! I have had high end audio in my cars before and this is the best I have ever heard. The set up is for classical and jazz listening. This is the first time I have been able to soundstage listening in a car in a long time.

I have heard a few systems this place has installed in Porsche's and they really do a good job. They have a pattern to build a custom sub box that installs just under the glove box. I was not looking to rock the windows so I did not have it done.

What amazes me is the clarity and definition that I can hear even with the top down.

Last edited by DavidD; 07-03-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David, what are the model numbers of the components, particularly the speakers? Did you have speakers added or just replaced? You said the set up is for classical and jazz listening. What do you mean by "set up"? Is this the particular equipment or the settings? This sounds right up my alley and I am going to look into it. Been wanting to do this for some time and you just lit the fire, especially with the listening preferences. The sound that comes in Porsches is horrible. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM
DavidD
Cruisin'

They installed an Eclipse Amp PA4212 under the front trunk removable tray liner. This is in a custom enclosure so when I drop items into the trunk I am not hitting the amp. They did allow for air flow. The "Clean Sweep" summing device is a JL Audio CL441DSP. This was mounted where the CD changer would go. The speakers replaced the factory ones and they are Focal 165V3E.

Listening to classical and jazz is my music preference and they selected these components for clarity. They also figured out a way to allow all of the existing head unit controls to operate. Normally the summing device would have the volume control. Sitting in the car you notice no cosmetic changes. Put in a CD and WOW!

The whole project including 8 hours of install was $1400. They made the installation mistake and had it fixed quickly. They learned from this and yes I would use them again. They actually just called me to be sure everything was working OK. Customer service is what it is all about!

Quick Reply: The Dash is on Flash