Sponsored by:

Boxster S - AutoX - Tire Pressures???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Boxster S - AutoX - Tire Pressures???

I'm thinking of doing an AutoCross tomorrow (Sunday) in my '04 Boxster S. I generally run 30 psi front and 36 psi rear all the time. I know when I did a DE last year and had the car tech'ed, they boosted the pressures in all tires for the track.

Any suggestions? If I need to change the pressures and don't have a portable inflator, only a large air compressor at home, I'd have to inflate them and drive the 70 miles to the AutoX. I would assume that would be ok too, right?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the car best balanced with the same pressures front and rear in slaloms.

just don't try to drive through the understeer, lift off the gas just to the point where the tyres are complaining but not screaming.

Have fun,
Old 07-02-2006, 07:46 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AX Pressures..

...while equal pressure is th ticket for R tires, I find street tires respond better to about 40 PSI front and 36 PSI rear. The lower rear helps to rotate car and the high front overcomes the push.

Works for me, although I hit a cone on all 8 runs today here in Valley Forge. It was me not the car.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....I'm using normal Michelin Street tyres, We're not allowed use anything special. In fact all tyres must have the Porsche "N" registration which limits choice.

40 Psi seems very high for me as most cars here are dropping the pressures to about 30 all round. I run with about 35 front and rear.

However Charlie, what you should do is pick one set up and stick with it until you're doint consistent times. Then consider adjusting pressures. If you play with pressures while you're still on the steep part of the learning curve you'll never know if you or the car is improving.

h
Old 07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for all who replied. I waited too long to post the question and had to leave early Sunday AM without being able to read the replies.

I didn't change any pressures. First run, missed a gate. My biggest problem was that I wasn't looking far enough ahead.
2nd run: 1:39. My best time for the day was 1:24 or something, so at least I was improving.

Thanks again for the replies.
Charlie

Quick Reply: Boxster S - AutoX - Tire Pressures???