Sponsored by:

Common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 AM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common issue?

The motion of my top is a little jerky going up. Anyone ever seen this before? Also, are loose heatshields normal? Mine just developed a rattle that sounds like a heat shield and the frequency of which is unrelated to rpm. Anyone else?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find the heatshields are actually flexible, so it more likely to be a loose cat insert in the exhaust that you can hear, or a loose baffle.

Annoying, but no big deal.

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 06-29-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:20 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Hey cdodkin,

A random question: -I see that Paragon car in your signature... -Is that Brands Hatch, after Paddock hill & on the way up to Druids? -Years ago when I still lived in Blighty I ran a car in the Beetle cup when Paragon had a couple of cars in that series. Mark Sumpter drove one at the time, and did rather well.

...Ah, -memories!

Keef
Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yes indeed it is! Well spotted Keef - and it is Sumpter!

Sumpter was hot for sure - here at full warp @ Silverstone!

And here at Oulton Park I think:

Covered GT3's and BTCC for a couple of years before I left Blighty - great fun.

Real racing action, not just ovals......

That view down Paddock Hill is still one of my fave locations for shooting - light is great early in the day.

Nice to see a selection of Ex Pat Brits on the forum.

Chris.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Oulton was our local. Raced against Sumpter at Brands on a couple of occasions, but Brands was cursed for us: both times we'd get caught up in 'synchronised spinnng' and get whomped by somebody else!

-The crash pictures actually made Autosport a couple of times! -Maybe you even took one of 'em!

Car 45 -where are you?!??!

I LOVE the UK road tracks... Drove at Brands & Silverstone myself, but I love Brands because it's not just flat like elsewhere...

Keef

Last edited by VWaddict; 07-08-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:23 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

PS:

Love the pictures... You plainly know what you're doing! I applaud the narrow depth-of-field on the first one: -That spot really is a good 'Ambush' shot!

-If you're ever in 'the British part of Florida' (Orlando is swamped with Brits!) then let me know. -Here's a pic I took of the former owner of my car, (driving the car he bought to replace th one he sold me, no less!) about 3 weeks ago at Sebring:

-Nothing like your work of course, but I do appreciate a nice pan-shot!

Good lens you had on that third one: Yes, looks like Oulton Park to me: Coming out of Lodge and into Deer Leap perhaps? -I love that spot too!

Keef

Last edited by VWaddict; 07-08-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice shots all!!!!

gotta keep the Boxster link alive on R'list
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Thanks guys, glad you liked the shots

Good pan capture Keef, that's always a tough shot to nail and still have the car sharp.

Thank goodness for digital!

The above shots are with a 600 F4L lens, you need the reach at the track, and the quality when wide open at F4.

For 'close-in work' the other standard lens I use is the 300 F2.8L - which is just increadably sharp and easier to pan with:

And just occasionally, I put on a 15mm fisheye for some work on start-finish for a different view of the cars/track

Chris.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Firstly, humblest apologies for the thread hi-jack; hopefully the original point has been satisfactorily addressed, or I'm in BIG trouble!

When I was on 35mm-land, I used to use a 500mm. -I had a 500mm Cat for use when space is tight... lousy light on that one though, quality definately compromised. -Hell, why am I talking in the past tense? -I still have all that stuff, but it's been in a closet for the last 5 years! -Seriously, I doubt that I'll ever take it out again. -It was only ever a hobby anyhow, -Olympus OM-1 bodies, and about a dozen lenses of different varieties.

I used to like doing pull-zoom blurs for pit-lane shots. I'd usually have one body with a Fish-eye and a second with a zoom on it. -It was always a bit of a toss-up as to whether it was going to look good, under-done or just completely messed up though!

Chris, I'm dead-serious though: -If you're ever out this way let me know. Your pictures are excellent; and I suspect rather more consistent than my efforts.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple of shots of Car 45 at Brands: I think I have one or two at the bottom of Paddock, perhaps even one with the car facing the right way! (j/k )

Keith
Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Default So...Back to the topic - the jerky top

Thanks for the ideas. I had noticed mine making a funny sound lately with a little jerk. I thought it might need some lube, even though I lubed it well a couple months ago.

Sure enough, I just went out to check the cables. The passenger side had come off the ball. I replaced it and the noise was gone.

Do these pop off often? Or did I fail to put it on well last time I serviced the top?

p.s. I enjoyed the pictures, too!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Badcow!
p.s. I enjoyed the pictures, too!
Okay, I found a humorous picture of our old car at paddock... and yes, it is going backwards!

-larger pic here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rimediacar.jpg

Keith
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by VWaddict
Okay, I found a humorous picture of our old car at paddock... and yes, it is going backwards!

-larger pic here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rimediacar.jpg

Keith
Dude, you're heading into traffic facing that way!

Looks like it was taken from the infield on the inside of the bend.

Go aircooled!

Chris.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Yep, taken from the infield.

Actually the car was moving backwards, having lost it at the crest of paddock, where the surface goes off-camber... just as the hill takes a sudden dive... I love it!!! -You can see from the trail of tyre smoke that it's moving backwards.

My old boss at work was the driver, I was the team-owner/car-owner. Nice setup: he was my boss on weekdays, I was his boss on the weekends... only I got to photograph his ****-ups: he never got to take pictures of mine!

Rear-engined aircooled rocks!

Keef

Quick Reply: Common issue?