Strut Braces

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Strut Braces

Anyone done Strut braces front or rear on their Boxsters?
Worth it?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I really want to myself. I know there is some flex because when I go in and out of a driveway at an angle the to creaks a bit. I was told though by several sources it was a waste due to the regity built into the car. I cant say I am good or fast enough to be able to say that my last trip in the mountains would have been faster or more responsive had I had them. I think the carbonfiber front one would look cool but then you have to remove all the covers to see it anyway. I elected not to. I have an S , so not sure if that makes a dif.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I get the driveway creak as well, as tight as the chassis seems to be it's still a roadster and I have to believe the extra support would help.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

This is a hotly debated topic. There are a few that swear that they completely transform the car. However, the majority say they're a complete waste. The factory has built-in strut tower braces that are far beefier than any aftermarket that I've seen. The GT3/cup cars also do not use aftermarket strut bars. I have researched/asked around on this topic extensively. There are several very inexpensive aftermarket strut bars, and I have not even bothered with those.

It is my opinion that the structural limitations in the Boxter are in the middle and not the ends. Considering the factory structures and factory braces, I think trying to further stiffen the ends is also a waste. Even the flex in the middle is only apparent when you really start to push the limits of suspension tuning. A roll cage would likely have a much more profound and noticeable benefit.

FWIW, I recall reading that the 986 (cab) is torsionally as stiff as the 993 (coupe).
Old 05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by arenared
This is a hotly debated topic. There are a few that swear that they completely transform the car. However, the majority say they're a complete waste. The factory has built-in strut tower braces that are far beefier than any aftermarket that I've seen. The GT3/cup cars also do not use aftermarket strut bars. I have researched/asked around on this topic extensively. There are several very inexpensive aftermarket strut bars, and I have not even bothered with those.

It is my opinion that the structural limitations in the Boxter are in the middle and not the ends. Considering the factory structures and factory braces, I think trying to further stiffen the ends is also a waste. Even the flex in the middle is only apparent when you really start to push the limits of suspension tuning. A roll cage would likely have a much more profound and noticeable benefit.

FWIW, I recall reading that the 986 (cab) is torsionally as stiff as the 993 (coupe).
I guess I can always weld the doors shut?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Marc,

Open the front hood and remove the plastic covers around the battery. If you look at the strut towers you will see thick diagonal braces. I personally find it hard to believe that a tiny additional strut brace would have any effect whatsoever.

But, hey, I've been wrong before!

Gary
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Much stiffer than a strut brace (or a Cayman for that matter):

For those on a budget:

Much better than a strut brace and a lot safer.

Bro
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Never mind the roll bars, whats up with those awsome fans in the engine bay cover. Which way are they blowing and more importantly where are the pics of what they are blowing on?

Quick Reply: Strut Braces