Sponsored by:

Wrinkled back window

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Miguel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wrinkled back window

For quite a while now, when I open the hood for a ride I then notice, when shutting it, that the hood rear window comes out wrinkled, giving me the impression that one of these days it will look a mess, possibly getting torn.
What could be causing this? Must be some kind of fault in the hood folding down procedure. Has anyone experienced this?

Cheers
Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

watch when it's going down, if it doesn't fold in 1/2 right when it's going in then when it comes out it'll look like crap, and the more it happens the worse it will get, eventually leading to a crease and then a crack

many people with the plastic windows (myself included) have to hop out and boxster chop the window in half so it folds correctly, it seems to vary by temperature, the warmer it is the less it seems to need to be chopped

if you have a very bad spot you can use a hair drier (or heat gun from a good distance from the window because it will melt the window if you get too close) warm up the area with the crease and gently rub the window with a soft towel, be careful because when the plastic is softened it will be more prone to scratching
Old 04-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

It almost always requires a hand in stowing it. Might want to consider the felt linner that goes between the two halfs. Its a pain, but the alternative is a bigger expensive pain as well. Also it is important to stay on top of cleaning the plastic.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Miguel
Pro

Thank you. I will start to chop it in the middle. Let's see what gives....
Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Miguel
Pro

Question Wrinled window

Turboflyer, whta do you mean by a "felt linner" in the middle?
Miguel
Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

This one is made for Corvettes, but it's similar to what we have. It's a little pillow that keeps the window from creasing. It works great! This one should be fine for a Boxster too. I can't find the one we bought and can't remember where we got it. http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...15&pf_id=28641
Old 04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

I have been using an old cotton/Poly blend blanket. I fold the blanket so that it is just wider than the plastic and half as tall. When folding the top, I stop just past the point where the plastic begins to show a vertical bubble forming (there is a creas at the top and bottom of the plastic as if the window is tring to fol in half right to left), then I get out, give it the boxster chop - gently, and place the blanket in the fold. Then I fold the top the rest of the way. The blanket has enough bulk to keep the plastic from creasing and it keeps the two halves from rubbing any dirt between them.

Of course, when unfolding the top, I have to get out to grab the blanket before driving off. I keep the blanket in the trunk. Who knows when I'll need ot for a pic-nic rendevous with my girl?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by deliriousga
This one is made for Corvettes, but it's similar to what we have. It's a little pillow that keeps the window from creasing. It works great! This one should be fine for a Boxster too. I can't find the one we bought and can't remember where we got it. http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...15&pf_id=28641
Try MidAmericaMotorWorks (formerly Tweeks). P/N 100-900 can be ordered over the phone.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Miguel
Pro

Thank you guys. Think I will try the balnket.. Might come in handy
Old 04-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

What is the best products to clean the plastic & take care of the top?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
What is the best products to clean the plastic & take care of the top?

Thanks
Hi Marc,

I was doing a seach and somehow missed this thread. I'm sure you have your answers (and then some by now ).

For plastic rear window, clear Lexan windstop and I use on the light covers - Plexus. I also only use with a microfiber towel.
For the top - RaggTopp.

Cheers,
Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pillow is interesting. I had not heard of that before. I first used a very soft towel. But a couple of years ago, I started using the black felt like material that came with the car.

Quick Reply: Wrinkled back window