Sponsored by:

Aerodynamics with body kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Aerodynamics with body kits

I have a couple of aerodynamic questions for you guys on aftermarket body kits. First of all, I remember reading that "For the 2003 model year, the noses of both the Boxster S and the normal Boxster have been redesigned with greater curvature on the outer flanks. The reduction in the swept-arrow shape of the front end serves to boost ram pressure ......" Second, I notice that Porsche sells their Aero II kit as a matched front/rear spoiler solution, and even warns that the spoilers must be used together, not separately. On the other side is the Ruf Boxster program, which adds new front spoiler and side skirt aero pieces, but doesn't touch the back of the car. Many other aero kit manufacturers offer the individual body components separately as well as in packages, but not necessarily matched pieces.

So, my questions are, will adding a typical "turbo look" front spoiler and side skirts, with no rear aerodynamic changes upset the aerodynamic balance of the car ? Is the Porsche Aero II kit the best aerodynamic upgrade package for that reason - because it doesn't upset the balance ? ..AND will a frontal area change that results in a less swept design affect horsepower by reducing ram pressure ?

Quick Reply: Aerodynamics with body kits