Sponsored by:

Child seat options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
mark911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child seat options

Just purchased a 2001 Boxster S and looking at options for my 2 year old. After reading all the archive posts I have come up with the following options.

A. Go to the dealer and pay through the nose to get a child seat installed. Not sure if they even still sell child seats for the older Boxsters.

B. Buy a normal child seat and try to find a deactivation bar. Go to an independent service shop and get them to turn on the airbag deactivation feature. Get an old male seatbelt and clip into the deactivation bar. Problem with this is I have not been able to locate a deactivation bar.

C. Take the connector for the deactivation and wire up a spare switch with a light in the dash. Take the car to an independent service shop and get them to turn on the airbag deactivation feature. Install normal child seat and hit the button on the dash. I like this approach but not sure if the connection is only looking for continuity. Has anyone tried this approach with a toggle switch?

So what do you think my best option is?

Thanks,
Mark S.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

You can install it. Very simple two bolt install. If your at all friendly with the dealer they just might reset the ECU for free.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

The dealer in Laguna installed mine for free - though I was just buying the car and bought the seat there and the PPI. This was a couple years ago though. But, first you ought to ask. I do know that two of the three local dealers will not install them - claimed concern over liability. So, call more than one if you can.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
mark911
Advanced

I have decided to go with option B. The dealer wanted $600 for a child seat. For this price I wonder if it comes with a child or a way to make another one

The dealer does have the deactivation bar so I will install and hopefully get them to activate it.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

The dealer should do the install and activate the computer for free when you buy the deactivation bar. The dealer is reimbursed from PCNA IIRC as a warrantee charge. That’s what my (and others) dealer did. I then picked up a used Porsche Child seat from Fleebay. I think I paid around $200 CDN for the bar & install and around $75 USD for the seat.

You didn't mention what size seat you are looking for, but here is an auction link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-PRINCE-B...QQcmdZViewItem
No affiliation w/ seller.

Aron in Toronto
Old 03-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Here is another tip. The deactivation feature works no matter what seat you buy from Porsche. So, what I did was buy the least expensive - the booster. For my kid who needed the booster, it was fine. For my kid who was too big for the booster, but too young to be behind an air bag, I plug in the booster, and lay it on the floor. For my kid who still needed the full car seat, I did the same - plug in the booster, lay it on the floor, and fasten up his baby seat. Mine only cost about $300.

Some people just cut off the male end to put in the receptical so you don't need to leave the booster on the floor. I've just never gotten around to it.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 AM
mark911
Advanced

I installed the bar and had the dealer turn on the deactivation feature. I still have one hurtle left.
I can not find a seat belt buckle that fits. I tried the passenger side buckle but it just pops back out. I tried a buckle from a 944 but it will not fit.

Has anyone found a buckle that fits?

Quick Reply: Child seat options